What is Community Paramedicine?
Community Paramedicine is a restructuring of existing healthcare resources, not a new means to increase healthcare spending. The community paramedic approach is designed to support and augment other patient-centered delivery models by providing an optimized mix of healthcare and patient navigation at a lower cost than traditional models.
The community paramedic model is an innovative, proven solution to provide high quality primary care and preventative services by employing a currently available and often underutilized healthcare resource, Paramedics.
Manatee County EMS has proposed a Community Paramedic Program that is designed to address and fill health care gaps existing within our community. The Community Paramedic Program, will integrate specially trained prehospital professionals with an expanded role, who will assist with closing health care gaps and improve access while decreasing healthcare costs.
Services Manatee County Community Paramedics May Provide
· Education about your medical condition and discharge instructions
· Monitoring your vital signs
· Setting up your pill boxes
· Collecting blood draws
· Wellness Checks / Home safety assessments
· Wound Care
· Health crisis mitigation
· Medication delivery & reconciliation
· Medication Administration
Community Paramedics Work in Coordination With:
· Primary Care
· Home Care Agencies
· Social Services
· Community Services
· Interpreter Services
· Food Banks
Community Paramedic Program Target Patient Populations
· Frequent Falls- The program seeks to mitigate fall risks by performing in-home safety assessments and fall prevention education.
· Mental Health / Substance Abuse – The program seeks to identify patients that would be better served outside the emergency room setting and redirect these individuals to the appropriate community resource(s).
· Diabetic Patients- The program seeks to provide nutritional and disease management education to diabetic patients to prevent unnecessary Emergency Department / EMS utilization.
· Congestive Heart Failure / Chronic Respiratory Conditions - Ensuring proper medication compliance, nutrition, and education on disease management for patients who are diagnosed with congestive heart failure or other chronic respiratory conditions.
· High System Utilizers- The Community Paramedic program seeks to include all patients that are high utilizers of the 911 system and Emergency Department, by providing education and aligning the patient’s with primary care resources available within the community.