Complaint Reporting Procedure FAQs

Answers to frequently asked questions about our complaint reporting procedures that should help you better understand how we resolve environmental complaints.

  • 1. How do I report an environmental complaint?

    The best way to report an environmental complaint is to contact the Manatee County Citizen's Action Center by phone at 941-742-5800 or online by clicking here. They will take your report and alert all departments potentially involved with a particular complaint, which is particularly useful for resolving environmental complaints. A link to additional Citizens Action Center information is in the right column.

  • 2. What information do we need before we can investigate a complaint?

    We need a description of your concern, the date and time that you observed the problem, and where it occurred. Please give us a street address near the problem location, if possible. If you want us to call you back with the findings of our investigation, please leave us your name and contact information.

  • 3. How long does it take to start an investigation?

    Complaint investigations are interleaved with other field investigations. We cannot offer immediate response in all circumstances.

  • 4. How long does it take to resolve a complaint?

    It depends upon the complexity of the issue and whether we have to get other Departments or Agencies involved. Any official notifications of non-compliance must be made by registered mail, which adds several days to the process. In most situations where we can quickly identify and meet with the responsible party we can resolve the issue quickly.

  • 5. Who do we contact regarding air quality issues?

    The Parks and Natural Resources Department monitors ambient air quality in the County but is not staffed or equipped to respond to air quality complaints. If you have a complaint regarding open burning, please contact the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Forestry office at: 941-751-7629. If you have a general air quality complaint, please contact the Florida Department of Environmental Protection Southwest District office in Tampa. Their phone number is: 813-470-5700.