Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

A list of commonly asked questions have been compiled to assist you with your planning and zoning land use inquiries.

If the information you are seeking is not shown please contact the Reviewer on Call team at 941-748-4501 ext 6871 or send an email to


Come in to see us at the Zoning Counter 1112 Manatee Avenue West, 4th floor, Suite 408.

The Reviewer on Call Team handles all questions regarding zoning, land use and development in the unincorporated areas of Manatee County.


  • Where can I find the zoning for my property?

    Zoning can be found using our GIS mapping system 


    When the map loads in the box titled live maps layer visibility place a check mark in the box next to Zoning/DRI for current zoning.


    To find your future land use category place a check mark in the box next to Comprehensive Planning.


    Database can be searched using, property identification number, owner's name or property address.


    Property Identification numbers can be obtained using the following link:



  • What are the building setbacks for my property?

    First you must determine the zoning district where the property is located.


    If your property is located in a standard zoning district setbacks can be found in the Land Development Code Chapter 4 see Table 4-3 Village Districts, Table 4-4 Agricultural and Residential Districts, Table 4-5 Mobile Home Districts, Table 4-6 Office, Commercial, Industrial  and Extraction Districts.  Use the following link to access the Manatee County Land Development Code:

    If your zoning is PDR (Planned Development Residential) setbacks can be found by contacting the Reviewer on Call at 941-749-3070.


  • How are my setbacks determined?

    Setbacks are measured from the property line into the interior of the lot where the structure or building will be placed.  Please note, structures cannot be placed in any easements or buffers.

  • What type of license/permit do I need for Mobile Food Vending?

    Mobile Food Dispensing Vehicles or Hot Dog Carts require licensure by Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulations, Division of Hotels and Restaurants.


    They can be reached online or by phone:



    Choose:  Apply for license

                  Hotels and Restaurants

                  Mobile Food Dispensing Vehicle or Hot Dog Cart

    or call Customer Contact Center at (850) 487-1395


    Manatee County only has jurisdiction over the unincorporated area of the county and does not issue vending permits or licenses however, we do require the following regulations be adhered to:


    a. Must be located on active commercial property with the approval of the property owner, cannot block any drive aisles or parking spaces. 


    b. Cannot be located in the County Right-of-Way.


    Note: Permanent power supply will reclassify use from Mobile Food Dispensing to Restaurant and will require Final Site Plan approval. 



  • Can I have a business in my home?

    Manatee County Land Development Code does allow some home occupations without any approvals with the following limitations:


    • The home cannot take on the appearance of a business, there cannot be any outdoor storage or display of merchandise.
    • There cannot be any retail or wholesale transactions.
    • No assembly, processing or fabrication operations are allowed.
    • No signs advertising the business are allowed.
    • The business can occupy no more than 25% of the home or two hundred (200) square feet of the first floor, whichever is less, exclusive of an open porch, attached garage or similar accessory uses.
    • No traffic should be generated in greater volume than normally expected in a residential neighborhood.

    Please contact the Reviewer on Call at 941-748-4501 ext 6871 or send email to  to see if your proposed business meets the aforementioned conditions.



  • I would like to subdivide my property, what is the process?

    If you are dividing your property in lots of less than five acres, a subdivision plat will be required when the third lot from the parent parcel* is created or a street is created for access. (*Parent Parcel is the property in its original configuration that has not been divided since May 4, 1981).


    All lots created must meet the zoning district regulations for the zoning district where the property is located.


    If the property is in a platted subdivision, recorded with the Clerk of Courts you must submit an application to replat.


    Please contact the Reviewer on call at 941-748-4501 ext 6871 or send email to to start the process for subdivision plat approval.


  • How do I apply for a retail alcohol beverage license?

    Manatee County is only a signatory agent for retail alcohol beverage licenses, to apply for the license you must contact the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation  We will review the state license for zoning compliance, the review fee is $50.00

  • What uses are allowed on my commercially zoned property?

  • I'm ready to begin development, what is my next step?

    The first step in the development process is to schedule a preapplication conference* by submitting the attached form PREAPPLICATION CONF. REQUEST FORM.pdf

    *preapplication conference is an informational meeting that is used to discuss the process and the code requirements before submission of the land use application for obtaining approval of the proposed development.

  • Where can I find a copy of my platted subdivision?

    Platted subdivisions are recorded with the Manatee County Clerk of Court 

  • What are my setbacks for a Residential Pool and Screened Pool Enclosure?

    Setbacks for swimming pools and screened pool enclosures are five (5) feet from the side and rear property lines, however no pool or pool cage shall encroach in any easements or drainage swales.

  • Do I need a permit to remove a tree from my residential property?


    Tree removal permits are not required under the following conditions;
    1. Trees located on any single family, manufactured home subdivision, manufactured home park, or duplex as long as the tree is not located in any areas under common ownership within the parks or subdivisions.
    2. Any tree located on land zoned and utilized for agricultural or mining purposes, provided that the removal, replacement, relocation or destruction solely occurs in conjunction with the use of the premises for agricultural or mining activities and not in anticipation of development.  All clearing is subject to County, State and Local rules protecting wetlands and other restricted habitat.
    3.  Any trees located in a subdivision development, or other project which has received County approval, provided the removal, replacement, relocation or destruction of trees are specifically shown on the approved site plan (projects under development with site plan approval).
    4. Trees and plants grown by a licensed plant or tree nursery or tree farm provided that the trees and plants are planted on the licensee's premises for the sale or intended sale to the general public in the ordinary course of business.
    5. All trees which have been destroyed or substantially damaged by hurricane or other natural calamity or act of God. (tree must be so damaged that it would require unreasonable costs to save it or it would be a hazard to human life or property).
    6. Unprotected species such as Paper Mulberry, Austrailian Pine, Ear, Punk, Chinaberry, Brazillian Pepper, Citrus, Camphor, Carrotwood, Laurel Fig, Catclaw Mimosa, Chinese Tallow and Indian Rosewood, (this does not apply if the species was originally installed as part of the required landscaping for a project, then a permit will be required).
    If you have any questions regarding tree removal and replacement, please contact Gary Race at 941-748-4501 ext 6936 or
    You can also visit our website page Tree Removal and Replacement Information for more information. 
  • How do I obtain a written Administrative Determination regarding land use for my property?

    An Administrative Determination is a written request seeking answers to questions you may have regarding a particular use, which does not clearly fall under the definition of one (1) of the uses specified in this Code, is not clearly allowed in the zoning district, is substantially similar to one (1) of the permitted uses, Special Permit, or Administrative Permit uses allowed in the district and therefore should be allowed as such.  The Planning Director shall issue a letter of interpretation (Administrative Determination) which will addressed the questions you have submitted to the Building and Development Services Department. 


    To obtain a written Administrative Determination you must submit a letter asking the questions relating to your property or land use issue which includes the property address, owner's name, parcel identification number and survey or site plan if available. submit it along with a check in the amount $600.00 made payable to Manatee County addressed to the following:



    Building and Development Services Department

    Reviewer On-Call

    1112 Manatee Avenue West, 4th floor, Suite 408

    Bradenton, FL 34205

  • How do I obtain a written Zoning Verification Letter?

    To obtain written verification of your property zoning designation you must send a letter which includes the parcel identification number and address along with a check in the amount of $300.00 made payable to Manatee County addressed to the following:


    Manatee County Building and Development Services Department

    Reviewer On-Call

    1112 Manatee Avenue West, 4th Floor

    Bradenton, FL 34205

  • What are the regulations for putting a fence on my property?


    Regulations according to the Land Development Code Section 511.6 of the Manatee County Land Development Code