Right-of-Way Use Permit


This section oversees the permitting of all construction activity within public rights-of-way.

All telephone, electricity, cable television, gas and other private-sector operations must apply for a Right-of-Way Use Permit. Additionally, we regulate over-sized vehicle permits. Approximately 400 Right-of-Way Use Permits are processed annually.

Right-of-Way Use Permitting

Before installing any improvements, including but not limited to drainage culverts, utilities, landscaping, communication cables (such as optical fiber), natural gas pipelines, or other transmission lines of any facility on County property or in public rights-of-way, you must have an approved Right-of-Way Use permit, as required by Florida Statutes 125.42 and 337.401; and Manatee County Ordinance 08-70 and Ordinance 17-48

Apply online for a permit through our Online Services portal

Download instructions on how to apply for a Right of Way permit online.

Questions? Email [email protected].


Road Closure Requests

Florida statutes require local approval before any road closure. To apply for a local road closure, you must provide Manatee County Public Works with a maintenance of traffic plan showing the proposed detour route and accompanying signage package. Depending upon the anticipated impact, the process may take as long as two weeks.

For more information on road closures in Manatee County, call (941) 708-7409 or email [email protected].

View Current Road Closures

Road Closure Procedures

Download a PDF of Road Closure Procedures

Prior to the closure of a street or road, or any lanes of an existing road in unincorporated Manatee County, the Public Works Department must first review and approve the request.

The following is an outline of the minimum requirements necessary to obtain approval.  Any request may be subject to additional requirements based on the specifics necessary to serve the general public and insure public safety.

  1. A detailed Traffic Control Plan (TCP), clearly showing the altered route and signage package, must be submitted to the Public Works Dept.All traffic control must be in compliance with F.D.O.T. ROADWAY AND TRAFFIC DESIGN STANDARDS FOR DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION, MAINTENANCE AND UTILITY OPERATIONS Index 600 thru 660 standards.Some set-ups may require combining indexes or adjustment to meet field conditions.All submissions, revisions or changes to the TCP must be submitted by a certified IMSA or ATSSA traffic control specialist with a copy of accreditation.Any changes to an existing plan must also be in compliance with the MUTCD.

  2. Specific times, dates and locations the TCP is to be in operation must be submitted in a format approved by Public Works Dept.Acceptable plans may include, but not limited to aerial photos, CAD design and earth maps.These may be forwarded electronically in PDF format or printed.No hand drawn maps will be accepted. The Worksite Traffic Supervisor’s company name, accreditation and contact number must be included with the plan.

  3. A minimum advanced notice of 5 working days is necessary in all cases and additional time may be required depending on the impact of the closure.Any change to an approved TCP must have at least five days' notice.

  4. All signs must be in place a minimum of one day in advance of the road closure in order for staff to inspect the placement and type of signage.Signs are to be covered when not in use and removed immediately upon completion. The road closure will not to go into effect until all closure and detour signs are in place, inspected and approved. All traffic control signs must be checked twice a day by the Worksite Traffic Supervisor or a properly trained appointed representative.

  5. The notification of all affected entities will be made by the Manatee County Public Works Department after all requirements have been met.

  6. Road closures longer than one day will require advanced notification signs that detail the length of the closure, a minimum of three days prior to the closing.

  7. Failure to secure the proper approval and permits may result in the immediate cessation of work and the removal of all equipment, facilities and personnel from the right-of-way.Upon notification by Manatee County of deficiencies in the TCP or other matters involving traffic safety, the permittee shall immediately make improvements as directed by the County. Should Manatee County deem conditions to be such that imminent danger is present, all work shall cease immediately and shall not resume until the conditions are corrected.


Oversized Loads on County Right-of-Way

To move an oversized load across or over County roads, you must first obtain an Oversized Vehicle/Load Permit. This requirement does not apply to house-moving permits which are processed through the Building Department.

The application process includes a review by County agencies and utility companies, which may take as long as five days. You will be notified if your application is approved or denied. 

For additional information or assistance with a permit application, call the Infrastructure Inspections Division of the Public Works Department at (941) 708-7409 or email [email protected].