|September 27, 2016 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #22
Fee Schedule - Parks and Natural Resources
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Danny Hopkins / Recreation Division Manager / x 6005
Adoption of Resolution R-16-140, amending R-16-059, and providing for changes to the Parks and Natural Resources Department Fee Schedule, with an effective date of October 1, 2016.
The Parks and Natural Resources Department operations are continually being fine-tuned to meet the needs of the community in the most efficient and economical way possible. The intent is not to compete with private organizations and neighboring communities, but to provide access and services at a cost affordable to all, thereby affording the opportunity for more citizens to enjoy our county-owned and operated facilities.
Staff recommended changes to the Fee Schedule are as follows (see attached Proposed Fee Schedule with Strike-throughs):
- Add to Definitions (p.3): "Youth" (Sports) - Children 17 years of age and younger, and may include an 18-year-old senior in high school.
- Add clarification to bullet c. in the Refund/Credit Policy (p.7): Other refund requests will be considered on an individual basis by Department Director/Designee and may be subject to a 20% administrative fee of total amount paid, not to exceed $10.
- Earlier this year, the East Bradenton Pool was renamed the Willie J. "Bro" Clemons, Jr. Pool. The new name will be reflected in the Fee Schedule (p.12 & 13).
- Monthly Fees (p.13) will be decreased:
$25 to $15/month/Single
$60 to $30/month/Family of 4
- Summer Pass Fees (p.13) will be decreased:
$50 to $25 Summer Pass/Single
$90 to $60 Summer Pass/Family of 4
$15 to $10 Summer Pass/Additional Adult-Youth
- Adding dates to clarify timeframe a Summer Pass can be used at the Willie J. "Bro" Clemons, Jr. Pool and the John H. Marble Recreation Complex (p.13):
Jun 1- Aug 15
- The John H. Marble Recreation Complex includes a pool and a gymnasium that has been successfully used for summer camps the past two years. As revitalization of the pool progresses to year-round operations, staff is anticipating plans to expand operations of the complex, including a fitness center element, pending approval of OPS or part-time staffing.
The current $2 Daily Fee for the pool will remain and provide access to the gym as well (p.13).
The Monthly Recreation Membership Fee to the pool will be decreased and will include use of the gym (p.13). Membership must be purchased at G.T. Bray Recreation Center:
$25 to $15 Monthly Fee
$60 to $40/month/Family of 4
- The Summer Pass Fee will be decreased:
$50 to $25/month/Single
$90 to $60/Family of 4
$15 to $10 Additional Adult-Youth
- There is a strong demand to offer competitive swim teams the opportunity to rent pool space for training at the John H. Marble Pool. The G.T. Bray Pool has seen an increase of demand for training space as well.
- The Competitive Team Rental (Training) Fee at G.T. Bray Pool (p.14) will increase:
$525 to $550/month (4 lanes/10 hours/week)
- A new Competitive Team Rental Fee will be added for use of the John H. Marble Pool (p.15):
$450/month (3 lanes/10 hours/week)
$15/additional hour over scheduled time.
- Adding an Athletic Field Rental Agreement Processing Fee will encourage athletic leagues to submit only one comprehensive schedule (consolidating the number of agreements) and will provide for a more streamlined admin service (p.15):
- Adding a Field Rental Late Fee for when an email request is received less than 48 hours before requested field use (p.15):
$15 Late Fee
- Adding a flat-rate Rental Fee (plus staff costs) for the G.T. Bray Gymnasium Floor Cover (p.17):
$100 (plus staff costs - $25/hr)
(Minimum two staff required: 1-hour prior to start of event, and 1-hour after event ends.
One staff during length of event.)
- Removing After School Drop-In Fee (p.19) as it is no longer used.
- Due to the cost of supplies and staffing, the Youth Camps Specialty Camp Fee range will be increased (p.30):
$45-$125 to $45-$150
- Public participation at The Night Before Christmas Activities program has seen an increase over the past few years. Decreasing the event fee (p.30) will allow even greater numbers to attend and counting change for a "five" lowers the demand of staff time at the cash box:
$7.50 to $5.00
- Adding a Cancellation/Reschedule Fee (p.30) to Special Event Permits. When events are cancelled or rescheduled with less than two weeks notice, there is either not enough time for other potential users to request the venue or in the case of cancellations, extra staff administrative time is required to re-permit the event.
$50 Cancellation/Reschedule Fee
(Request received with less than 2-week's notice.)
- The Jiggs Landing - Rustic Cabin Rentals are currently managed and operated through a Franchise License Agreement. The Licensee is required to charge "per county established fees." Stays are single night or weekly and stays are limited to one week and no more than six stays per year. The added fees (p.31) are as follows:
- $40/per night - Single Night(s) (Saturday night stay required, w/Sunday checkout only).
- $270/per week - Weekly (Sunday to Sunday stay, w/Sunday checkout only).
- $50 Security Deposit - Key
- $50 Security Deposit - Cabin
- $0 Gate Access Card (nighttime access).
- Key and Cabin Security Deposits are refundable.
- Not requiring a deposit for Special Event Permits (p.33) with less than 100 people attending will eliminate a lot of staff time doing refund paperwork.
Sales tax shall continue to be charged in addition to the fees where no exemption applies and the tax has been imposed by law.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please provide an approved copy of the agenda to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Resolution R-16-140 Fee Schedule.pdf
Attachment: P&NRD Proposed Fee Schedule with Strike-throughs_September 27, 2016.pdf
Attachment: P&NRD Proposed Fee Schedule_September 27, 2016.pdf