|September 24, 2019 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #53
Resolution Supporting the Florida Legislature’s Designation of U.S. 41 from the Manatee/Sarasota County Line to Tallevast Road as the “Sergeant John C. Baxter, Jr., Memorial Highway”
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Cheri Coryea, County Administrator, ext 3468
Adopt Resolution R-19-119.
Section 334.071(3), Florida Statutes
- Section 334.071, Florida Statutes, provides that when the Legislature designates a transportation facility for honorary or memorial purposes, the Florida Department of Transportation is required to place markers for the specified highway segment.
- Section 334.071(3), Florida Statutes, provides that a city or county must pass a resolution in support of a particular honorary designation before the Florida Department of Transportation places the road markers.
- The 2019 Florida Legislature has acted to designate U.S. 41 between Tallevast Road in Manatee County and the Sarasota County line as the “Sergeant John C. Baxter, Jr., Memorial Highway.”
- Sergeant Baxter served the residents of Florida with the Florida Highway Patrol for 25 years.
- Sergeant Baxter was a member of the 20th Recruit Class in Tallahassee from January 19 to April 8, 1961, and was subsequently stationed in Brooksville, Fort Lauderdale, Sarasota, and Bradenton.
- On October 2, 1985, while assisting in the search for a suspect in four armed robberies, Sergeant Baxter was involved in an airplane crash in Manatee County.
- Todays request will provide the local County honorary designation support needed to confirm this designation.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please send a copy of Resolution R-19-119 to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Resolution R-19-119.pdf