|September 13, 2016 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #6
Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) Transportation Systems Management and Operations Council - Project of the Year Award
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Presenter: Paula Flores (Benway), ITE International President
Contact: Sage Kamiya, Deputy Director, Traffic Management
Vishal S. Kakkad
- This award is given annually to recognize the development and/or implementation of notable projects or organizations that demonstrate the successful use of Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) technologies to improve the efficiency of surface transportation facilities with significant societal mobility.
- For the year 2016, Manatee County was selected as the recipient of this award for the Diversion and Evacuation Route Timing Project.
- The concept of an incident diversion routing system was developed as a way to decrease response time to signal timing changes due to incidents.
- The Manatee County Diversion and Evacuation Route Timing Project was implemented into the Regional Traffic Management Center (RTMC) as an additional tool for incident management and hurricane evacuation tasks.
- The Diversion and Evacuation timing plans will serve as a readily available tool that provides a starting point for efficiently and effectively responding to an incident in Manatee County.
- Based on the results from the implementation of these timing plans, the response time to deploy signal timing changes has been reduced by 85%.
- Deploying these coordinated diversion and evacuation route timing plans translates to benefits in reduced delay to the traveling public in Manatee County.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs