|Manatee County Government Administrative Building First Floor, Chambers September 1, 2016 - 9:00 am|
Agenda Item #20
PDMU-15-17(Z)(G) - PEN BAY, LLC/Peninsula Bay - DTS20150341 - MEPS483 - Quasi-Judicial - Margaret Tusing
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Lisa Barrett, Planning Manager, 941-748-4501 ext. 6884
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator, 941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as stipulated herein, I move to ADOPT Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDMU-15-17(Z)(G); APPROVE the General Development Plan, including the Design Requirements (dated May 17, 2016), with Stipulations A.1–A.6, B.1–B.6, and C.1–C.7; finding that the criteria in Section 402.7.D.9 for increased building height are satisfied; GRANT Special Approval for:
1) a mixed and multiple use project in the RES-6 (Policy 18.104.22.168.4.a.) and RES-9 (Policy 22.214.171.124.4.a.) Future Land Use Categories,
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• Mr. Caleb Grimes with Grimes Goebel, et al, agent for the property owner, is requesting approval of a Rezone to PD-MU, approval of a General Development Plan and Design Requirements for a mixed use project:
? 1,950 residential units;
• Project Acreage: 358.5 acres
• Project Location: north of Cortez Road, east and west of 115th Street West and south of Palma Sola Bay in southwestern Manatee County.
• PDMU district allows a flexible development approach to encourage:
? Mixed-Use Projects
• RES-6 and RES-9 Future Land Use Categories
• Special Approvals:
? Mixed and Multiple Use project in the RES-6 and RES-9 Future Land Use Categories.
? Non-residential uses exceeding 30,000 square feet in the RES-6 and RES-9 Future Land Use Categories.
? Projects for which gross residential density exceeds 4.5 dwelling units per acre and the net residential density exceeds 6 dwelling units per acre in the RES-6 Future Land Use Category.
? Projects for which gross residential density exceeds 6 dwelling units per acre in the RES-9 Future Land Use Category.
• Specific Design Requirements for the Peninsula Bay establishes setbacks, project heights, uses within the Resort Residential District and Marina District.
? LDC Chapter 4 – Zoning
? LDC Chapter 5 – Standards for Accessory and Specific Uses and Structures
? LDC Chapter 8 – Engineering Design and Utilities
? LDC Chapter 10 – Transportation Management
• The project has an approved Local Development Agreement outlining methods and procedures to mitigate transportation impacts and provide for the construction of roadway improvements as a proportionate share project.
• Open Space: 179.7 acres (50%)
• Property used for active agriculture since the early- to mid-1900’s.
• Wetland Acres: 70.82 acres; proposed impacts: 0.90 acres impacted for lake creation
• Ecosystem Management Plan
? Mangrove Swamp Enhancement – 22.37 acres
• Marina/Upland Cut Canal
? Hydrologically connected to Palma Sola Bay and Cortez Peninsula Canal
• Staff recommends approval with Stipulations.
• On July 14, 2016, by a vote of 5 – 1, the Planning Commission recommended approval. Mr. Bower voted nay stating the traffic to the island is very important via Cortez Road, there needs to be a plan put together to provide for traffic before this project approved.
• A summary of the public comments heard at the July 14, 2016 Planning Commission public hearing are in the staff report attached to this memo.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by emails to Matter #2016-0526 on June 22 and June 30, 2016.
Instructions to Board Records
Please send the executed document and letter from the Florida Department of State to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - Peninsula Bay - PDMU-15-17(Z)(G).pdf
Attachment: ATTACHMENT 2 - MAPS.pdf
Attachment: ATTACHMENT 3 - specific approval letter.pdf
Attachment: ATTACHMENT 4 - Zoning Disclosure Affidavit.pdf
Attachment: ATTACHMENT 5 - 12.14.15 School Report Peninsula Bay.pdf
Attachment: ATTACHMENT 6 - DESIGN REQUIREMENTS 08-17-2016.pdf
Attachment: ATTACHMENT 7 - GENERAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN.pdf
Attachment: ATTACHMENT 8 - LARGE PROJECT APPLICATION dated 05172016 .pdf
Attachment: ATTACHMENT 9 - ROAD IMPROVEMENTS.pdf
Attachment: ATTACHMENT 10 - Transportation Impact Analysis.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 11 - Applicant request for additional time.pdf
Attachment: ATTACHMENT 12 - Rep. Photos for Height Increase.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 13 - Newspaper Advertising.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 14 - Ordinance.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 15 - Public Comments.pdf