|Manatee County Government Administrative Building First Floor, Chambers September 1, 2016 - 9:00 am|
Agenda Item #14
PA-16-01/Ordinance 16-07 - Urban Corridors Plan Amendment - Legislative - Lisa Barrett
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Lisa Barrett, Planning Manager, 941-748-4501 ext. 6884
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator, 941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Based upon the evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the technical support documents the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Community Planning Act as codified in applicable portions of Chapter 163, Part II, Florida Statutes and the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, I move to adopt Ordinance 16-07.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• Since the late 1990’s, new development has been generally focused east of Interstate 75 and Southwest County has been in a slow, but steady decline in terms of indicators such as property values, average household income levels and other factors in comparison to the overall county. The age of infrastructure, housing, code enforcement cases, crime, and numbers of rental properties in established neighborhoods have been increasing over the years.
• These trends have been recognized in various plans, studies and by the public for over a decade. The current land development regulations (Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code) do not accommodate the needs of these older and established urban areas. The existing regulations prescribe “suburban” types of uses and development pattern, making infill, development and redevelopment in these areas more difficult and more expensive than other areas of the county.
• The main focus of the amendments is to improve opportunities for infill, redevelopment and development along the major corridors. The project scope does not include residential subdivisions or existing neighborhoods, just the lands along major corridors in Southwest County’s Urban Service Area. These major corridors include portions of the Tamiami Trail, 15th Street East, 53rd Ave/SR 70, Cortez Road, Manatee Avenue West, and 1st Street within the Urban Service Area of the County.
• The proposed amendments generally provide greater flexibility in the regulations, allows for moderate increases in density and intensity of development, and allows residential and mixed-use development patterns to occur along the corridors.
• On June 9, 2016, by a vote of 6 – 1, the Planning Commission recommended approval, revising Map M, the Manatee Avenue Corridor, to end at 75th Street West.
• On June 21, 2016, by a vote of 4 - 2, the BOCC voted to transmit the plan amendment to the State with a revision to Map M to end 53rd Avenue East at 75th Street West (US 301 to 75th Street West).
• A summary of the public comments heard at the June 21, 2016 Board of County Commissioners public hearing is in the staff report attached to this memo.
• A summary of State and Agency comments received after Transmittal and how they are addressed is provided within the staff report. Each letter is attached to the staff report. The Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO) provided a “no comment” letter.
• Staff recommends adoption of the plan amendment.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email to Matter #2016-0316.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the signed document and attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org for distribution to the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity.
Also, please forward a copy of the executed document and letter from the Florida Department of State to email@example.com
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report -ADOPTION - PA-06-01-Ordinance 16-07 Comp Plan Amendment Urban Corridors.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance 16-07 - PA-16-01 - Urban Corridors Comp Plan Amendment - 8-16-2016 BCC.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance 16-07 - Exhibit A.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance 16-07 - Exhibit B.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance 16-07 - Exhibit C.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance 16-07 - Exhibit D.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 12 - Assessment Report 12012015.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 13 - Appendix A - Manatee Council of Government.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 13 - Appendix B-1 - 2010 FINAL ONE BAY VISION BROCHURE.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 13 - Appendix B-2 - ONE BAY General Overview & Findings RAT 12-17-08.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 13 - Appendix B-3 - ONE-BAY_FACTSHEET_July 2009.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 13 - Appendix B-4 - Outcome Report ManateeCounty.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 13 - Appendix C- How Will We Grow Report 021113_hi res graphics.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 13 - Appendix D - ULI FINALManateeCounty_PanelReport.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 13 - Appendix E 1 of 2 .pdf
Attachment: Attachment 13 - Appendix E 2 of 2 .pdf
Attachment: Attachment 13 - Appendix F Sierra club.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 14 - Newspaper Advertising.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 15 - Agency Comments.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 16 - Summary of Changes from Consultant.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 17 - Public Comments.pdf