|REVISED June 6, 2013 Land Use Meeting|
Agenda Item #3
USF - Sarasota Manatee Master Campus Plan - Time Certain 1:30 pm Item 13 - Katie LaBarr, AICP
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Katie LaBarr, AICP
941-748-4501 ext. 6828
Authorize the transmittal of the County's comments on the proposed USF Campus Master Plan, as contained in the report, in accordance with applicable law.
Section 1013.30, Florida Statutes
- The University of South Florida, Sarasota/Manatee Campus has proposed a five-year update to the Campus Mater Plan.
- Manatee County, as host local government, is one of many agencies afforded the opportunity to review the plan and provide comment for consideration.
- Agencies have 90 days to comment on the master plan. This period ends June 16, 2013.
- University development is governed by Florida Statutes, which limits the role of Manatee County in the development process.
- USFSM has held one of two public hearings on the proposed Master Plan. The hearing was well attended. The second hearing will be scheduled after USF receives review comments from state and local government agencies. This hearing has not been scheduled and noticed by USF.
- USFSM is a regional institution that provides upper level junior, senior and graduate course work. The existing campus facilities were constructed and opened in August, 2006.
- USFSM is in the process of adding undergraduate studies to the academic schedule. Sophomores were admitted in 2012 and they intend to admit freshmen in the fall of 2013.
- In order to accommodate the 10-year projected building, parking and outdoor recreation programs needed to accommodate a residential campus population and commuter population, additional land is required. This Campus Master Plan provides for an acquisition strategy that includes four parcels of land that are adjacent to, or near the existing campus, along the US 41 corridor.
- The existing campus includes approximately 164,100 square feet of academic and support facilities and 627 parking spaces.
- The 2010-2020 Campus Master Plan calls for a total 10-year building program of 428,110 square feet of gross building area, to include student housing, academic facilities, additional offices, an auditorium, additions to the central plant and a bookstore on campus. The plan also shows 29,600 square feet of commercial development along US 41. Finally, it provides for 1,175 on-site parking spaces.
- The plan shows the main access at the main campus driveway on US 41. A secondary access is proposed to remain at Seagate Drive, and a third access is proposed at the existing Hilton Garden Inn driveway located north of the main campus driveway.
- Staff has reviewed the Master Plan and prepared a letter to Dr. Guilford outlining concerns and recommendations. Staff requests the Board authorize the Chairman to sign and send the comment letter to Dr. Guliford.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Written Comments available from Sarah Schenk.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward the original signed letter to Bobbi Roy/ Building and Development Services.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Manatee Co. Review of USF 2010 Campus Master Plan Report - complete.pdf
Attachment: Manatee County Cover Letter to USF.pdf
Attachment: Manatee County Review Comments.pdf
Attachment: Supplemental information - USF SM Master Plan Public Hearing slideshow 3-12-13.pdf
Attachment: Supplemental information - usfsm_executive_summary_9_12_2011.pdf