|Revised December 11, 2014 Planning Commission Agenda|
Agenda Item #5
PDI-14-23(G)-Project Red Sox-DTS20140331-Quasi-Judicial-Stephanie Moreland
Contact and/or Presenter Information
941 748 4501 ext. 3880
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to recommend approval of General Development Plan PDI-14-23(G) with Stipulations A.1-A.8, and B.1-B.3; GRANTING Special Approval for a project: 1) in MU (Mixed Use) Future Land Use Category (FLUC) and 2) in an Entranceway; ADOPTION of the Findings for Specific Approval; and GRANTING Specific Approval for alternatives to Sections 603.13.4.4, subparagraph 3 (allow outdoor display areas), 710.1.6 (reduction in parking), 714.8.7 (reduction in tree replacement sizes) and 7220.127.116.11 (Alternative for planting trees 25 feet on-center) of the Land Development Code, as recommended by staff.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• Ms. Misty Servia (King Engineering), Agent for We Sell Mixers LLC, filed an application for approval of a General Development Plan to construct in three phases, a collectively “Primary Use” consisting of a 19,127 square foot Motor Vehicle Sales, Rental, Leasing Establishment and Motor Vehicle Repair called, “Project Red Sox/We Sell Mixers”. The proposed use entails the sale of cement mixer trucks.
• As an option, the applicant also requests approval for the following collectively “Alternative Uses”; Motor Pool Facility including Taxi Cab/Limousine Service, Farm Equipment Supply, Professional Office, Hotel, Industrial Service Establishment, Business Service Establishment, Medical Dental Laboratory, Construction Service Establishment, Wholesale Trade Establishment, Personal Service Establishment, Warehouse and Mini-Warehouses, and Personal Wireless Service Facility (PWSF). A maximum square footage of 40,000 square feet is noted on the General Development Plan for the Primary and Alternative uses.
• The above Alternative Uses are shown as permitted or permitted with limitations in Figure 6-1 of the Land Development Code (LDC). LDC definitions of the Primary Use and Alternative Uses are detailed in the staff report. Should the Alternative Use option become viable, a Final Site Plan or Administrative Permit meeting applicable LDC standards (including parking) will be required for any future use(s) on-site.
• The triangular-shaped 9.34± acre site is south of S.R. 64, on the east side of I-75 and west side of Lena Road, an area designated as Entranceway. Special Approval is required for a project in the Entranceway.
• Currently there are several structures occupying the site; an existing single-family residence, storage building, detached garage, barn and fence. The single-family residence is not considered affordable housing stock.
• The site is in the MU (Mixed Use) Future Land Use Category (FLUC). The Range of Potential Uses lists retail, wholesale, office uses, light industrial uses, research/corporate uses, warehouse/distribution, suburban or urban residential uses, lodging places, recreational uses, public or semi-public uses, schools, hospitals, short-term agricultural uses, other than special agricultural uses, agriculturally-compatible residential uses, and water-dependent uses. Special Approval is required for all projects in the MU FLUC.
• According to Policy 18.104.22.168.4 of the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, commercial developments within the MU designation are not required to achieve compliance with commercial locational criteria.
• On December 18, 2001, the site was rezoned to PDI [PDI-01-01(Z)] without a plan. On March 5, 2009, a Preliminary Site Plan [PDI-01-01(P)] was approved for 40,000 square feet of light industrial uses on approximately 3.15 acres of the site. The site plan has expired. A Motor Vehicle Sales, Rental or Leasing Establishment and Motor Vehicle Repair are permitted in the PDI zoning district with approval from the Board of County Commissioners.
• Development is planned to occur as follows; In Phase one, the existing 2,400 square foot residence will be converted to a sales office, the detached garage will be utilized as an employee break room and a 3,600 square foot building will be constructed for service bays. According to the applicant, the cement mixer trucks will be displayed for sale in a designated area fronting I-75. The trucks will also be repaired on-site. Specific Approval is required for outdoor display of vehicles in the PDI zoning district.
• Construction of a 2,400 office and mechanic shop with service bays will occur in Phase two. In Phase III, the General Development Plan shows a proposed 2,000 square foot office and display area. The existing barn is to be removed.
• The General Development Plan shows the proposed buildings with associated parking and display areas. The applicant requests Specific Approval for a reduction in parking spaces for the Motor Vehicle Sales, Rental or Leasing Establishment and Motor Vehicle Repair only. Limited customer visits to the site are anticipated due to the nature of highly specialized heavy equipment offered for sale. 52 spaces are required based on a parking calculation of one space per 500 square feet of gross sales area plus one space per 4,500 square feet of open sales area plus one space for each company vehicle. The parking study submitted indicates there will be three on-site employees, three weekly customer visits, and three weekly deliveries.
• The proposed Floor Area Ratio (0.09) is within the intensity guidelines (1.0) of the MU FLUC.
• The proposed maximum height of buildings is 45 feet.
• The site is subject to two front yard setbacks and two side yard setbacks as follows: Front yard 30 feet, and side yard 15 feet.
• The General Development Plan shows adequate roadway and perimeter buffers in accordance with LDC Sections 715 and 737. Specific Approval is requested for smaller replacement tree sizes and an alternative for planting trees (tree clusters) 25 feet on center in the roadway buffer strip along I-75 for view corridors.
• PDI requires 25% open space and an additional 5% open space is required for projects in an entranceway. Thirty percent (30%) open space is proposed.
• Access to the site is via Lena Road. Five-foot wide sidewalks are proposed along Lena Road adjacent to the property’s frontage.
• The project is in the A and X Flood Zone Categories. There are 0.14± acres of wetlands in the southernmost part of the site. No impacts are proposed to the wetlands. There are no known historic or archaeological resources on the site.
• Staff recommends approval with stipulations.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email on 11-14-2014
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Map FLU-Project We Sell Mixers PDI-14-23(G).pdf
Attachment: Map Zoning-Project We Sell Mixers PDI-14-23(G).pdf
Attachment: Map Aerial-Project We Sell Mixers PDI-14-23(G).pdf
Attachment: Specific Approval Request Letter-Project We Sell Mixers PDI-14-23(G).pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Project Red Sox - We Sell Mixers - PDI-14-23(G) - Bradenton Herald - 12-11-2014 PC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Project Red Sox - We Sell Mixers - PDI-14-23(G) - Sarasota Herald Tribune - 12-11-2014 PC.pdf
Attachment: GDP-Project We Sell Mixers PDI-14-23(G).pdf
Attachment: Staff Report-Project Red Sox- PDI-14-23(G)-12-5-14 PC.pdf