|REVISED September 26, 2017 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #26
FY 2016/2017 State Transit Corridor Program FPID No. 410895-1-84-03, Extension Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
William Steele, Transit Division Manager, William.Steele@mymanatee.org, (941) 747-8621 x7440
Chad Butzow, P.E., Deputy Director of Field Operations Services, Chad.Butzow@mymanatee.org, (941) 708-7450 x7432
Authorization for the Chairperson to execute the Time Extension Request Form for the Fiscal Year 2016/17 Multi-Year Joint Participation Agreement (JPA), Notification of Funding (NOF) for the State Transit Corridor Program.
Chapter 341, Florida Statutes, Florida Administrative Code, Plan 6.0 Mass Transit Element, Resolution R-12-197, Joint Participation Agreement (JPA) FPN No. 410895-1-84-03, Contract No. AQQ40 (Section 18.00).
- The Transit Corridor Program was enacted by the State Legislature to provide funding support for transit services within specific corridors where public transit services are designed to alleviate congestion or other mobility issues.
- Transit corridor funding is discretionary and distributed by the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) based upon demonstrated project potential and congested corridor benefits.
- On September 11, 2012, the Board of County Commissioners approved Resolution R-12-197 authorizing the execution of a multi-year JPA with the FDOT for State Transit Corridor Program funding. The JPA was fully executed and signed on September 25, 2012, and remains in effect until December 29, 2017. Annual JPAs are not required; however, a Multi-Year JPA NOF form is required to receive the annual funding allocation.
- The FDOT Transit Corridor Program funding is utilized for operating assistance to support the Anna Maria Island (AMI) Trolley services, operating along the Gulf Drive corridor. Since the original funding allocation in 2012, the FDOT funding for this project varies between approximately $288,000 and $756,000.00; and there are significant funding increases in recent years, commensurate with an improving economy.
- The most recent notification of funding (FY17 allocation), executed on February 20, 2017, in the amount of $756,831, is significantly higher than in previous years. Therefore, an unexpended balance will remain for the current project at the end of the current funding period.
- This increase in FDOT funding is beneficial in that the annual allocation can adequately fund a wider range of operating costs, including preventive maintenance and fuel expenses.
- Based upon the analysis of current funding, eligible expenses, and operating costs, Transit Division Staff estimates that the remaining grant balance could fund operations for most (or all) of FY 2017/18.
- Staff is working with the FDOT so that future funding could potentially be used for eligible capital expenses, in addition to operating funds. This would help relieve the pressure on Federal Transit Administration (FTA) formula funding, which is not keeping pace with inflationary trends.
- The Anna Maria Island Trolley service continues to experience ridership productivity and surpass the original ridership goal, while serving as a key traffic mitigation component for travel on Anna Maria Island.
- To optimize FDOT funding assistance, the Public Works/Transit Division requests that the JPA for the subject project be extended until September 30, 2018.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please return two (2) signed originals (in blue ink) of the Extension Request Form to Edrick Sweeting, Grants Administrator, Edrick.Sweeting@mymanatee.org, X7354, to be forwarded to the Florida Department of Transportation. A fully executed, signed Extension Request will be forwarded to Board Records upon return.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
435-0012002 Transit Trolley Operating: FDOT Funds $756,831
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
The portion of expense in the above cost center is a revenue from FDOT
Attachment: 410895-1Time Extension Form.pdf
Attachment: AQQ40 Extension Letter - 08312017.pdf
Attachment: 410895-1-84-01 NOF FY16-17 AQQ40-Executed for Manatee County 2 20 17.pdf
Attachment: Resolution R-12-197.pdf