|REVISED October 18, 2016 - Work Session|
Agenda Item #1
Fair Housing Requirements
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Cheri Coryea, Neighborhood Services Director, x3468
Denise Thomas, Housing and Community Development Coordinator, x3474
Bill O'Shea, Community Development Project Manager, x6858
Geri Lopez, Redevelopment and Economic Opportunity Director, x3029
No action required.
Section 8 & 9 of the U.S. Housing Act of 1937
- Mr. Jason Smith of Wade Trim, the consultant for the development of the plan, will speak to the Board regarding Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH) and the Manatee County CDBG 5-year Consolidated Plan.
- The plan needs to take proactive steps to address the issues of segregation and related barriers, particularly as reflected in racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty (R/ECAPs).
- The AFFH plan goal is to take meaningful actions that, taken together, address significant disparities in housing needs and in access to opportunity, replacing segregated living patterns with truly integrated and balanced living patterns, transforming racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty into areas of opportunity, and fostering and maintaining compliance with civil rights and fair housing laws.
- The AFFH requires an Assessment of Fair Housing (AFH).
- This is a joint effort between Manatee County Government and the Manatee County Housing Authority (MCHA).
- It is required to be completed by all jurisdictions receiving Federal funding through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and Public Housing Authorities (PHAs) receiving assistance under Section 8 or 9 of the U.S. Housing Act of 1937.
- Formerly known as the Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice (AI), this includes an analysis of fair housing data, identifies fair housing issues and contributing factors, and identifies priorities and goals.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Fair Housing Work Session.pdf
Attachment: RECAP Areas Map.pdf
Attachment: Follow Up Memo - Fair Housing Requirements.pdf