Manatee County Government Administrative Center Commission Chambers, First Floor 9:00 a.m. - November 7, 2017
REVISED November 7, 2017 - Regular Meeting
Agenda Item #58

Hurricane Irma Expenses - Budget Amendment


Contact and/or Presenter Information
Jan Brewer, Director, Financial Management, Ext. 3730

Action Requested
Adoption of Budget Resolution B-17-079, for FY17 Hurricane Irma expenses, amending the annual budget for Manatee County, FL for Fiscal Year 2017.

Enabling/Regulating Authority
Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Act, PL 93-288, as amended

Manatee County Code of Laws

Background Discussion
The purpose of this budget amendment is to begin the process for financial reimbursement to Manatee County for damages incurred as a result of Hurricane Irma. Currently, accounts have been developed to store cost data needed to be reimbursed for FY17 expenditures. This budget amendment will appropriate anticipated revenue for expenditures incurred in FY17 and move the remaining money from Reserves in each affected fund to the storm related accounts.

A Recovery Scoping Meeting (RSM) is scheduled for November 8, 2017, to begin the reimbursement process. An agreement will be forthcoming before the Board between FEMA, the State of Florida, and Manatee County for reimbursement assistance.

The total of FY17 costs associated with Hurricane Irma are $3,425,436. Cleanup and/or reconstruction efforts are still underway for FY18, so cost estimates are not yet available.    Reimbursement is being sought from The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the State of Florida. FEMA reimburses at seventy five percent (75%), and the State of Florida and Manatee County share in the remaining twenty five (25%) of eligible costs.

The Preliminary Damage Assessment, a tool utilized by the County through FEMA for the first estimates of damage, totaled $30,197,530 for Manatee County Government, with details below:

FEMA Category                      Manatee County Estimate
Debris Removal                                     $ 20,441,340
Protective Measures                                   1,162,178
Roads, Signs, Bridges                                    960,000
Water Control Facilities                                  790,000
Buildings & Equipment                                   312,632
Parks & Rec & Other                                   6,494,380
                                                           $ 30,197,530

County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)

Explanation of Other

Reviewing Attorney

Instructions to Board Records

Copies to budget@mymanatee.org

Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
$30,197,530 from Reserves in various funds to sections 0008130

Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs

Attachment:  B-17-079 FY17 Hurricane Irma.pdf