|REVISED May 8, 2018 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #36
Health Care Advisory Board - Membership
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Cheri Coryea, Deputy County Administrator, ext. 3468
Ava Ehde, Interim Director, ext. 6301
Joshua Barnett, Health Care Services Manager, ext. 3978
Receive and act upon a request from the Health Care Advisory Board, in session on April 25, 2018, to remove member Ernest "Sandy" Marshall from the Board, per Resolution R-17-035, Section 5., Terms and Eligibility, F., and authorize staff to advertise to fill the position.
Resolution R-17-035, Establishing the Manatee County Healthcare Advisory Board
- On November 3, 2015, Resolution R-15-173 was adopted by the Board of County Commissioners (BCC) establishing the Health Care Advisory Board. It was repealed and replaced with Resolution R-17-035 on April 4, 2017.
- The thirteen (13) member Board is appointed by the BCC and receives assignments from the BCC for the year. Members provide advice and insight using their expertise on provisions of healthcare for medically needy persons.
- By Resolution, this Board is set to sunset on September 30, 2022. However, R-17-035 provides for the abolishment, disbandment, or reorganization at any time if necessary.
- R-17-035, Section 5, Terms and Eligibility, Item F. states: Advisory Board members serve at the will and pleasure of the Board of County Commissioners and the Commission retains the right to remove members of the Advisory Board for any reason.
- On April 25, 2018, 5:00 pm, the Healthcare Advisory Board met in regular session and established a quorum at 5:22 pm. Upon conclusion of the meeting, member Barbara Schubert asked for an executive session. Newly appointed chairman Dr. Francis Curd, called the executive session.
- Ms. Schubert spoke to the membership and directly to member Sandy Marshall indicating Mr. Marshall had been displaying a longstanding lack of orderly conduct at meetings, hindering the board from fulfilling their duties, regular attempts to substitute his own will for the will of the other HCAB members, and several other concerns as detailed in a letter to the Commission and attached below.
- Ms. Schubert asked that Mr. Marshall voluntarily resign his position on the HCAB so that the HCAB could regain momentum moving forward with the mission they are charged with.
- Mr. Marshall declined to resign from the HCAB.
- Ms. Schubert made a motion that the HCAB request to the Board of County Commissioners that Mr. Marshall be removed from the HCAB. The motion passed 5 in favor and 2 against.
- Each of the members spoke openly to Mr. Marshall during the discussion encouraging him to voluntarily step down for the future of the HCAB, each recognizing his long-term commitment to healthcare.
- Staff is presenting the request of the HCAB for consideration by the BCC. The next meeting of the Health Care Advisory Board is May 23, 2018.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
- County Attorney Palmer has been provided with a Request for Legal Services and has been informed of the current situation. However, due to the short turn around time it may not be possible for him to have had the opportunity for a complete review.
- During prior issues related to this Board and Mr. Marshall, Mr. Palmer has been consulted by staff and been kept up to date on the comments and concerns by the remaining HCAB members.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Health Care Advisory Board Membership.pdf
Attachment: Health Care Advisory Board Meeting April 25 --2018.pdf
Attachment: Schubert Letter to County Commissioners.pdf