|REVISED May 23, 2017 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #46
West Coast Inland Navigation District FY 2018 Applications
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Charlie Hunsicker / Director / x6001
Nan Summers / Grants Coordinator / x6052
- Adoption of Resolution R-17-053 approving the FY 2017-18 applications to the West Coast Inland Navigation District (WCIND) and authorizing the submission of said applications.
- Authorization for the Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners to sign any and all agreements with WCIND upon approval of said applications.
- Authorization for the County Administrator or his designee to sign extensions and new sub-agreements with those agencies that are not County Departments.
- Approval of the FY 2017 Countywide Navigation Improvement Project Engineering and Permitting application through the Countywide Navigation Improvement Fund.
Chapter 374 Florida Statutes, West Coast Inland Navigation District
Rule 66A-2 Florida Administrative Code
Manatee County is authorized by Rule 66A-2, Florida Administrative Code, to approve and administer waterway projects as a member of WCIND. Rule 66A F.A.C. also requires the submission of applications no later than May 31st of each year. The following funding categories have been established for WCIND projects: Law Enforcement; Navigation Improvement; Environmental Education; Boating Safety and Education; and Boating Recreation.
A total of 8 applications were received and met the criteria:
- Law Enforcement: Manatee County Sheriff's Office Marine Patrol ($89,000); Bradenton Beach Police Department Police Boat Lift ($50,000)
- Navigation Improvement: Manatee County Parks and Natural Resources Department Countywide General Navigation Improvement ($200,000); Manatee County Parks and Natural Resources Department Abandoned Vessel Removal Program ($50,000); Bradenton Beach Police Department Derelict Vessel Removal Program ($20,000)
- Boating Safety and Education: Manatee County Parks and Natural Resources Department Coquina South Boat Ramp Dock Replacement ($80,000); Warner's Bayou Boat Ramp Parking Lot Paving and Redesign ($600,000); Manatee Sail and Power Squadron ($1,850).
The total request for WCIND funds is $790,850. An estimated $950,000 is projected to be available from the FY 2017-18 millage beginning on October 1, 2017.
After these applications are submitted, WCIND will review and approve them at their September 2017 meeting and formal agreements will be executed. At this same meeting, WCIND will approve and sign all amendments/extensions for those grantees that request a one-year extension, which is allowed under Rule 66A-2 F.A.C. There are also sub-agreements and amendments between the County and those grantees not associated with any County function.
Staff Recommends that:
- The Board adopt Resolution R-17-053 approving the FY 2017-2018 applications and authorizing staff to transmit them to WCIND
- RE: Manatee County Sheriff's Department Marine Patrol - Due to continued financial downturn affecting local government revenue, and the potential imposition of property tax relief through additional homestead taxation actions, the goal of transitioning this position into the regular budget cannot be met at this time. Staff recommends continuation of the position at the current level of $71,722.
- RE: Bradenton Beach Police Department Police Boat Lift - Despite eligibility, in light of the anticipated county shortfall in funding for timely completion of boat ramp improvement construction, we cannot recommend adding new capital projects at this time. However, should the Board so direct, we are prepared to add this one-time construction project back into the WCIND recommendation from the BCC to WCIND.
- The Chairman be authorized to sign all grant agreements between WCIND and Manatee County for those approved applications prior to the September 2017 WCIND meeting.
- The County Administrator or his designee be authorized to execute all sub-agreements and extension amendments between Manatee County and those approved agencies prior to the September 2017 meeting.
- The Board approve the Countywide Navigation Improvement Project Engineering and Permitting application through the Countywide Navigation Improvement Fund.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please return executed Resolution R-17-053 to Nan Summers (firstname.lastname@example.org, x.6052) for transmittal to WCIND.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: WCIND R-17-053.pdf
Attachment: WCIND 2017-18 apps.pdf
Attachment: WCIND Police Boat app.pdf
Attachment: WCIND CINF 2017.pdf