|REVISED May 22, 2018 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #47
Option to Purchase Additional Real Property Near Premier Sports Campus
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Ed Hunzeker, County Administrator
Motion to authorize staff to proceed with all actions necessary to negotiate the amendment to the option agreement, conduct due diligence for the purchase, and prepare a site plan for the property.
Motion to adopt Budget Resolution B-18-073 amending the annual budget for Manatee County, Florida, for Fiscal Year 2017-2018.
Florida Statutes Chapter 125, County Government
- An Asset Purchase Agreement was entered into on December 12, 2017, between Manatee County and SMR for the acquisition of property and facilities known as the Premier Sports Complex.
- The agreement contained an Option Agreement to purchase approximately 53 acres of additional real property adjacent to the Premier Sports Campus.
- The purchase price for the additional land offered by the Option is $65,000 per acre.
- Recently, Manatee County was offered an additional 21.5 acres of land which is contiguous to the Option Property. The additional acreage would increase the total Option Property to approximately 74.5 acres (see attached aerial map).
- The additional land would be utilized for an expansion of Premier Park to become a District Park and would also be used to create an East County Service Center that would better serve the residents in the eastern part of the county.
- Plans for an East County Service Center include a new library branch, Sheriff District Office, EMS facility, Tax Collector office, as well as other governmental functions that provide direct services to citizens such as Veterans Services, Neighborhood Services, Building and Development Services, and Utilities Customer Service.
- The estimated total cost for the acquisition of the additional 74.5 acres is approximately $4.25 million dollars. The county will not be required to pay for stormwater areas for the new thoroughfare roads per the Option provisions and two acres for the library will not be paid for in satisfaction of an existing DRI obligation to provide two acres of land. The net number of acres to be purchased is approximately 65.5 acres.
- Funding for acquisition of the property would come from Parks Impact Fees for the acreage to be devoted to creating the District Park - approximately 52.5 acres. The remaining approximately 13 acres for the East County Service Center would come from a number of dedicated funding sources available for those services.
- If approved to proceed with the acquisition of the additional acreage it would be necessary to do a site plan to finalize facility needs and identify the locations where the various facilities would go on the property. Budget Amendment B-18-073 funds $60,000 for consulting services for site plan development from Park Impact Fees ($44,000) and from Reserves in the Unincorporated MSTU Fund ($16,000).
- Future park facilities would be developed in the Capital Improvement Program and funding for those facilities would come from Parks Impact Fees.
- County staff has developed a conceptual funding plan for the construction of the East County Service Center facilities that utilizes a variety of existing revenue sources and funding streams to cover a significant portion of the cost of the facilities. These sources include Law Enforcement Impact Fees, Library Impact Fees, Infrastructure Sales Tax (for projects included on the original Sales Tax List), rent avoidance for facilities currently being leased that will be replaced, utility revenues, and building fees. These revenues and funding streams can be bonded for 30 years to finance the majority of the estimated building costs. The balance of funding needed will come from general revenues that we can phase-in recurring amounts over the next several years prior to needing to begin to pay debt service.
- If approved, county staff will work on necessary actions to bring back purchase documents for Board approval and begin the development of a site plan for the property.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please provide a copy of the agenda item to Charles Meador at Charles.email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Budget Amendment B-18-073
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Location Map.pdf
Attachment: Budget Resolution B-18-073.pdf