|REVISED May 22, 2018 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #38
Summer Student Bus Pass Pilot Program
Contact and/or Presenter Information
William P. Steele, Transit Division Manager, William.Steele@mymanatee.org, (941) 747-8621 x7440
Chad Butzow, P.E., Interim Director, Public Works Department, Chad.Butzow@mymanatee.org, (941) 708-7450 x7432
Approval to launch a pilot Summer Student Bus Pass Program providing an unlimited number of bus rides for $25 during the months of June, July, and August 2018.
Chapter 341, Florida Statutes
Manatee County's 2013 Ten-Year Transit Development Plan (TDP) major update, Manatee Connects.
- The Transit Division proposes to pilot a new summer bus pass program for unlimited fixed route travel on local bus routes for those 19 yeas of age or younger. For $25, area youth can utilize the new Summer ConneXion bus pass on all Manatee County Area Transit (MCAT) buses during the months of June, July, and August.
- The program is designed to improve access to training and employment opportunities for youth during the summer break months.
- The program benefits include organizations that assist youth in vocational training and job placement programs. In fact, the ConneXion Manatee mobile ticketing application will allow these agencies to "send a pass" to youth clients and, in doing so, these organizations serve as a transportation sponsor to facilitate work skills training and employment.
- The Transit Division currently offers half-fare discounts on fixed route service to several groups of riders including: Active duty and military veterans, seniors, Medicare card holders, students, and persons with disabilities. These half-fare discounts are available for single-ride fares and all bus pass categories.
- The current cost of a monthly MCAT bus pass is $40 and, correspondingly, the half-fare discount for the monthly bus pass is $20. The $25 Summer ConneXion bus pass provides an additional discount beyond half fare to eligible youth, since it provides for more than one month of travel.
- All youth will be required to show a valid form of identification when boarding using the Summer ConneXion bus pass.
- Staff will initiate discussion with Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT) to facilitate regional travel for youth job skills training and employment using the Summer ConneXion bus pass.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward copy of the minutes to Ryan Suarez, Transit Division Planning Manager, Ryan.Suarez@mymanatee.org, (941) 747-8621 x7622.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs