|REVISED May 10, 2016 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #37
Community Transportation Coordinator Mobility Enhancement Grant Application
Contact and/or Presenter Information
William Steele, Transit Division Manager, William.Steele@mymanatee.org, (941) 747-8621 x7440
Chad Butzow, Public Works Deputy Director, Chad.Butzow@mymanatee.org, (941) 708-7432
Adoption of Resolution R-16-080 authorizing the Manatee County Board of County Commissioners Chairperson to file and execute a Mobility Enhancement Grant Application with the Florida Commission for the Transportation Disadvantaged.
Florida Statutes Chapter 341; Florida Statutes 427
- The Transportation Disadvantaged Trust Fund is administered by the Florida Commission for the Transportation Disadvantaged (hereinafter "Commission"), pursuant to Section 427.0159, Florida Statutes. The purpose of the Transportation Disadvantaged (TD) Trust Fund is to provide a dedicated funding source for the operational and planning expenses of the Commission in carrying out its legislative responsibilities. Funding from the Commission is provided to local agencies to provide transportation services for TD clients.
- The 2016 Florida Legislature authorized $1,750,000 of non-recurring funds to be competitively awarded by the Commission to Community Transportation Coordinators (CTCs) to support projects that:
- Enhance the access of older adults, persons with disabilities, and low income individuals to healthcare, shopping, education, employment, public services, and recreation;
- Assist in the development, improvement, and use of transportation systems in non-urbanized areas;
- Promote the efficient coordination of services;
- Support inter-city bus transportation; or
- Encourage private transportation provider participation.
- Purposed projects must begin providing services on or about July 1, 2016; with continued service through June 30, 2017. These grants are known as "Mobility Enhancement Grants." The Commission funding is for no more than 90% of project costs, with 10% for local match.
- Since 1990, Manatee County Government has served as the Community Transportation Coordinator (CTC) for Transportation Disadvantaged (TD) services in Manatee County.
- In its role as the CTC for Manatee County, Manatee County Government coordinates TD trips to qualified sponsored and non-sponsored persons and provides TD trips through the Transit Division/Handy Bus Program.
Staff has prepared a Mobility Enhancement Grant Application to utilize TD commission funding to purchase daily unlimited bus passes for medical transportation purposes and facilitate access to area healthcare clinics. Passes would be issued by healthcare service providers to serve low-income Transportation Disadvantaged persons whenever an appointment is scheduled, if no other transportation is available. If someone is leaving the hospital and referred to another doctor for follow-up, a pass could also be issued. The participating clinics and healthcare service providers would validate the low-income status of program users.
- The grant application effort is a community partnership between the Public Works/Transit Division, Community Services Department, and area health care clinics and medical service providers.
- Daily Unlimited Ride passes would be purchased using Mobility Enhancement funding to provide transit access to/from medical appointments for low-income Transportation Disadvantaged clients. The grant would pay for 90 percent of the cost for each bus pass and the remaining 10 percent would be absorbed by the County/Transit Division as local, in-kind match.
- Specifically, the bus pass program for which funding is being requested accomplishes the following key CTD program objectives:
- Enhance access to healthcare and medical appointments for low-income Transportation Disadvantaged individuals.
- Promote improved cost effectiveness and efficiency through the coordination of transportation services between MCAT, the County Department of Community Services, and area healthcare providers.
- Enhance Manatee County Area Transit (MCAT) fixed route ridership and operating revenue.
- Enhance the productivity of health care service providers through a reduction in cancellations, thereby allowing more patients to be seen.
- The grant funding is proposed to purchase $100,000 in daily unlimited ride bus passes with $90,000 in Commission grant funding, and $10,000 in in-kind/local match.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please have Commissioner Baugh sign the Resolution and application cover page for each grant application including the original. Call Ryan Suarez, Transit Division Planning Manager at ext 7622 to pick up documents.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Resolution R-16-080 CTC Mobility Enhancement.pdf
Attachment: CTD Application .pdf