|REVISED March 5, 2015 Land Use Meeting|
Agenda Item #4
Aldi, Inc. / Aldi - Bradenton - PDC-14-27(Z)(P) - DTS20140444 - Quasi-Judicial - Rossina Leider
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Rossina Leider, Planner
941-748-4501 ext. 6859
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator
941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to ADOPT Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDC-14-27(Z)(P); APPROVE the Preliminary Site Plan with Stipulations A.1-A.5, B.1, C.1, and D.1-D.4; GRANT Special Approval for a project: 1) partially within the Coastal High Hazard Area (CHHA) per Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, and 2) adjacent to a perennial stream; ADOPT the Findings for Specific Approval; and GRANT Specific Approval to alternatives to Sections 715.3.1.d (Minimum Required Landscaping – Vehicular Use Area) and 715.3.2 (Roadway Buffer Options) of the Land Development Code, as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• The 3.87± acre vacant site is located on the northeast corner of the intersection of 53rd Avenue East (SR 70) and 45th Street East.
• The site is made-up of four parcels zoned GC (General Commercial – 1.41 acres), A-1 (Suburban Agriculture – 1.18 acres), and PR-M (Professional-Medium – 1.28 acres).
• The entire site is within the R/O/R (Retail/Office/Residential) FLUC and the northern portion of the site lies in the CHHA (Coastal High Hazard Area) per the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan (regulatory floodway of Gap Creek).
• The request is to rezone the property to PDC (Planned Development Commercial), and approve a Preliminary Site Plan for 17,018 square feet of retail use area (grocery store). The site is eligible to be considered for commercial development since the R/O/R FLUC listed the proposed use (retail) in the range of potential uses.
• The Preliminary Site Plan will be developed in one phase and includes:
? One building on the east portion of the site with a maximum Floor Area Ratio (FAR) of 0.10, and a maximum building height of 22.6’ feet (one story).
? 86 parking spaces including four (4) handicap spaces, and 12 bicycle spaces in six racks.
? Loading zone and dumpster area north of the proposed building.
? Two access points via functionally classified roadways as follows:
• One from SR 70, an existing six–lane arterial roadway (right-in/right-out only), and
• One from 45th Street East, a designated collector roadway (right-in/right-out only).
? Internal driveways (25-feet to 30-feet wide) connecting the access points of the project with the parking area (west and south of the building) and the services zone (loading area and dumpster).
? Stormwater facility on the southwest portion of the site.
? 10 feet wide roadway buffer along SR 70, and an alternative for the required 10 feet wide buffer along 45th Street East which includes a 5 foot wide buffer adjacent to the right-of-way and an additional 8 foot wide buffer east of the stormwater pond.
? Screening buffer:
• 5 feet wide buffer along the southern portion of the east property line where the site is adjacent to an existing commercial use (8 feet wide separation is providing along to vehicular use area),
• 15 feet wide buffer along the remaining portion of east property line adjacent to a single-family residences (northern 2/3 portion of the east buffer),
• Foundation and vehicular use area landscaping is provided.
? 45 % of open space (1.71 acres) which exceeds the minimum requirement in the PDC Zoning District (20%).
• Proposed improvements to widen 45th Street East from two to four travel lanes (Capital Improvement Project) has been incorporated into the project’s design.
• There are 0.27acres of wetlands within the boundary of the project (portion of Gap Creek). There are no native habitat, and no know historic or archaeological resources on the site.
• The site lies in Zone X and AE with Base Floor Elevation (BFE) ranging from 9.6’ to 10.5’ NAVD per FIRM Panel 12081C0309E, effective 03/17/2014, and encroaches the regulatory floodway of Gap Creek (perennial stream). Special Approval is required to be granted by the Board of County Commissioners, through the planned development process, for a project:
- Located partially within the Coastal High Hazard Area (CHHA) per the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, and
- Adjacent to a perennial stream.
• The purpose of the Special Approval request is satisfied since:
- Proposed improvements do not encroach the regulatory floodway of Pearce Drain/Gap Creek,
- A “Letter of Mitigation” will be required at “building permit” stage for proposed structural improvements within 50 feet of the regulatory floodway (retaining wall and dumpster enclosure).
- The proposed site improvements are concentrated to the greatest extent outside of the 25-year and 100-year floodplains.
- Compensatory storage will be required for proposed impacts within the 25-year and 100-year floodplains.
- The proposed finish floor elevation of the building will be at least one–foot above Base Floor Elevation (BFE). The proposed finish floor elevation retail grocery store will at 13.50 feet.
• The applicant requests Specific Approval to:
- Allow more than 10 consecutive parking spaces without a landscape island (LDC Section (LDC Section 715.3.1.d), and
- Alternative for roadway buffer location (LDC Section 715.3.2).
• Staff supports all requested Specific Approvals. Staff recommends approval of this request, with stipulations.
• On February 12, 2015, by a vote of 5 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended approval. A summary of the public comment is in the staff report attached to this memo.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email on January 13, 2015.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document and the letter from the Florida Department of State to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Maps - Future Land Use, Zoning and 2 Aerials - Aldi Bradenton - PDC-14-27(Z)(P) - 3-5-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Staff Report - Aldi Bradenton - PDC-14-27(Z)(P) - 3-5-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Zoning Disclosure Affidavit - Aldi Bradenton - PDC-14-27(Z)(P) - 3-5-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Specific Approval Request Letter - Aldi Bradenton - PDC-14-27(Z)(P) - 3-5-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Traffic Impact Analysis - Aldi Bradenton - PDC-14-27(Z)(P) - 3-5-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Address Plan- Aldi Bradenton - PDC-14-27(Z)(P)- 3-5-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Aldi - Bradenton - PDC-14-27(Z)(P) - Bradenton Herald - 3-5-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Aldi Bradenton - PDC-14-27(Z)(P) - Sarasota Herald Tribune - 2-18-15.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance - Aldi - Bradenton - PDC-14-27(Z)(P) - 3-5-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Site Plan - Aldi Bradenton - PDC-14-27(Z)(P) - 3-5-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Slideshow - Planner - Aldi Bradenton - PDC-14-27(Z)(P) - 3-5-15 BC.pdf