|REVISED June 7, 2016 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #14
2018 Historic Preservation Special Category Grant Funding
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Kathleen Thompson, AICP, Planning Manager
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator, 941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Authorize the Chairman to sign support letter to Dr. Timothy Parsons, Florida Department of State, Bureau of Historic Preservation, regarding the 2018 Grant Application.
Manatee County Land Development Code
Certified Local Government status
- As a Certified Local Government, the County is eligible to apply for a Historic Preservation Grant through the State.
- The grant program is administered through the State of Florida/Division of Historic Resources.
- The County is seeking funding under the "Special Category" designation which provides assistance of between $50,000 and $500,000.
- The County is requesting funding under the "restoration, rehabilitation, and reconstruction" category of the Special Grant program for the restoration of the 1914 Myakka City Schoolhouse.
- Approximately $500,000 is needed to completely restore the schoolhouse. The estimate also includes technology improvements (computers-internet), parking lot paving, signage, and landscaping. Not all these improvements are grant eligible.
- A total of $369,262 in grant eligible renovations are necessary to complete the interior of the schoolhouse. The remaining improvements not eligible for this particular grant program will be funded through other grant entities, cash on hand, donations, and fundraising efforts.
- This grant program requires a 50% match with a minimum of 25% of the match to be cash on hand. The remaining match requirement can be a combination of in-kind services, monetary pledges, volunteer labor, donated materials, and travel.
- The grant request is for $246,069.
- The match requirement is $123,193 (minimum 50% match)
- 25% cash on hand ($30,799+/-)
- The remaining match is in the form of monetary pledges, donated material, etc. ($92,394+/-)
- If awarded grant funding, the proposal is to hire a contractor to restore and renovate the 1914 Myakka City Schoolhouse.
- The Scope of Work includes:
- Electrical and fixture repair
- Interior framing and insulation
- Interior painting
- Doors and windows restoration
- Wood floor repair and finish
- Drywall and plaster repair
- Gutters and downspouts
- Plumbing and fire wall repair
- Other miscellaneous repairs
- The application must be submitted to the state by July 1, 2016.
- 25% of the grant amount is advanced. It then becomes a reimbursement process.
- Attached is the 2018 draft application.
- Staff is requesting a Letter of Support from the Board Chairman.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please return original letter with Chairman's signature to Bobbi Roy, Building and Development Services Department
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: myakka schoolhouse application to state 2016 .pdf
Attachment: BCC Chair Letter.pdf