|REVISED June 7, 2016 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #33
Renovation of the old Natural Resources Building located at 202 6th Avenue East, Bradenton, Florida 34205 to house the County Medical Examiner's Operations and an EMS Station
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Charlie Bishop, Director Property Management, Extension 3004
Robert Smith, Director Public Safety, Extension 3511
- Adoption of Budget Amendment Resolution B-16-066
- At a work session on April 19, 2016, staff presented a concept to address additional space needs for the Medical Examiner and the Health Department at the 6th Avenue campus where they are currently located.
- The Health Department is a 34,900 square foot facility built in 1991 and is located at 410 B 6th Avenue East, Bradenton, Florida. In addition to providing health services for Manatee County, the facility also includes the Medical Examiner’s operations encompassing an allotment of 2,300 square feet. Both the Health Department and the Medical Examiner (ME) require additional space to expand services to accommodate population growth. The entire facility is also severely dated requiring a large amount of maintenance and within some selected areas significant renovation.
- To address both the ME’s and the Health Department’s expansion and renovations requirements, Property Management purposes to relocate the ME to the Natural Resources Department (NRD) facility currently not occupied. The NRD building was built in 1965, contains 11,461 square feet, and is located directly west of the Health Department at 202 6th Avenue East. Prior to the relocation efforts the NRD building must be renovated to meet occupancy code requirements and the new morgue will have to be designed and constructed.
- In addition to relocating the morgue, Manatee Memorial Hospital has notified the County of its intention to terminate the lease with the County EMS station positioned at the hospital complex to further expand their facilities. Property Management has also identified the NRD facility to house the displaced EMS station maintaining the same dispatch vicinity. The portion of the building targeted for the EMS operations will be approximately 2,000 square feet. Concurrently, the new medical examiner's operations will consume an additional 5,000 square feet leaving the remaining square footage available for future uses.
- Budget Amendment B-16-066 would fund $1,700,175 in the 2016 Revenue Improvement Bond fund for the improvements to the old NRD building to provide space for the Medical Examiner and the EMS unit. Funding for the debt service payments will be provided for in the FY 2017 Recommended Budget. Funds are available in Reserves in the 2016 Revenue Improvement Bond fund due to unanticipated grant revenues for a beach project that reduced the requirement for bond funds for that project.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Signed copies of resolutions to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: B-16-066 ME Building.pdf