|Manatee County Government Administrative Center Commission Chambers, First Floor 9:00 a.m. - June 18, 2013|
Agenda Item #25
Federal FY2013 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAG)
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Lynette Miralla ext 3484 or Elaine Maholtz ext 3485 /
Brenda Rogers, Director Community Services ext 3030
Approval of Federal 2013 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) in the amount of $111,563 over a maximum four year time period, as recommended by the Public Safety Coordinating Council.
Florida Statutes Chapter 125
· Notice has been received that Manatee County is eligible for a Federal 2013 Edward Byrne Memorial JAG Grant in the amount of $111,563. Federal Fiscal Year 2013 coincides with the time period October 1, 2013 through September 30, 2014.
· These JAG funds are recurring, although funding amounts may differ each year. This year’s amount has decreased by $13,292 over last year’s amount. No grant match is required.
· Following discussion at its March 20, 2013 meeting, Commissioner Bustle and the Public Safety Coordinating Council (PSCC) recommended that Manatee County apply for this Federal JAG grant with funds to be allocated as follows:
1. $75,000 for two (2) staff positions within the Manatee County Probation Division. The positions are currently funded with JAG grant funds, which will expire January 31, 2014. The requested funding will maintain two (2) Pre-Trial Screeners until September 30, 2014.
2. $32,683 for Manatee County Drug Court. The Federal JAG grant funding will be combined with FDLE JAG grant funds to continue contractual services with Manatee Glens until September 30, 2014. The Program currently receives JAG grant funding, and provides addiction counseling and ancillary services to participants in the Drug Court Program.
3. $3,880 for Juvenile Services Program, a non-profit agency, for screening and assessment of juveniles brought to the Juvenile Booking Center by law enforcement to determine disposition for further incarceration or release. The Program has previously received JAG grant funding for needs assessment, and substance abuse and mental health screening.
· Opportunity for public comment regarding this grant was provided during the Public Safety Coordinating Council (PSCC) meeting on March 20, 2013, and through inclusion of this item on the Board’s meeting agenda today. This satisfies a grant requirement to provide an opportunity for public comment before grant submission to BJA. The grant application submission deadline is July 9, 2013.
· Required funding agreements between the County and the grant funding recipients will be approved after the BJA grant award is received.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Prepared in accordance with BJA directives.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
$111,563 (BJA - JAG) Probation Staff 173 900XXXX 3XXXXX /9000 173 900XXXX 5XXXXX /9100 - Drug Court 173 900XXXX 3XXXXX /9000 173 900XXXX 5XXXXX /9100 - Juvenile Services 173 900XXXX 3XXXXX /9000 173 900XXXX 5XXXXX /9100
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Resolution 13-104 Federal.pdf