|REVISED July 28, 2015 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #66
Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) FFY 2015 Edward Byrne Justice Assistance Grant (JAG)
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Contact: Lynette Miralla-Ramirez, ext 3484
Presenter: Brenda G. Rogers, Director Community Services Dept., ext 3030
Authorization for the Chairman to execute a Certificate of Participation on behalf of the Manatee County Board of Commissioners with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) for Manatee County to serve as the coordinating unit of government for the FFY 2015 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) program.
Florida Statute 125
- In a letter received July 24, 2015, from Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) they informed that they have allocated a total of $108,257 in Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) funds for use by all units of government within Manatee County.
- FDLE further recommended that the Manatee Board of County Commissioners assume the responsibility of coordinating the development of an application for these funds which can be used to support a broad range of activities to prevent and control crime and to improve the Criminal Justice system.
- At its meeting of March 18, 2015, the Public Safety Coordinating Council (PSCC) recommended that Manatee County apply for this FDLE JAG grant, with funds allocated as follows:
- $38,531 for Manatee County Drug Court Program. The FDLE JAG funding will be combined with Federal JAG grant funds to continue contractual services with Manatee Glens for another year, to provide addiction counseling and ancillary services to participants in the Manatee County Drug Court Program.
- $69,726 remaining balance as per PSCC recommendation, is to be utilized by Manatee County Probation to continue staffing two full time Supervised Release Pretrial Probation Officers/Screeners providing services at the Manatee County Jail.
- The initial requirement of grant participation is the return of an executed certificate of participation to FDLE as soon as possible, but no later than August 1, 2015 (per program announcement page 25).
- Upon receipt of the certificate, FDLE will provide additional information to access the application which is due September 4, 2015.
- Submission and acceptance of the FDLE JAG grant will follow, with no grant match required.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
TIME SENSITIVE: Due to FDLE by August 1, 2015. Please return executed certificate to Community Services to complete the acceptance process.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
$108,257 (FDLE-JAG) Account numbers to be determined.
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Copy of FDLE allocation letter FFY 2015.pdf
Attachment: FDLE JAG Countywide Program Announcement FFY 2015.pdf
Attachment: FDLE SAMPLE CERTIFICATE OF PARTICIPATION.pdf