|REVISED January 9, 2018 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #19
South Florida Museum Amended and Restated Agreement
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Presenter: Elliott Falcione, Executive Director, CVB
Contact: Monica Luff, Sr. Admin Spec., CVB
Authorization for County Administrator to execute Amended and Restated Reimbursement Agreement with South Florida Museum for maintenance of manatees and/or traveling exhibits.
Code of Laws 2-29-25 Tourist Development Plan
F.S.S. 125.0104 Authorized uses of Resort Tax Funds
- On October 1, 2011, the Board of County Commissioners (BCC) approved a reimbursement agreement with South Florida Museum to reimburse the Museum for feeding, care, and maintenance of a "second manatee" other than the resident manatee (Snooty).
- On October 1, 2014, the BCC amended and restated that reimbursement agreement to also allow reimbursement of traveling exhibits.
- The reimbursement agreement included a stipulation that if the resident manatee were to no longer be housed and cared for at the Museum, the agreement would terminate within 30 days.
- We are requesting to amend and restate the reimbursement agreement to remove language restricting the County's reimbursement of costs associated with a "second manatee." This will allow us to reimburse the Museum for the feeding, care, and maintenance of any manatee that is housed at the Museum.
- We will keep the language that allows reimbursement of traveling exhibits.
- We have also added language that allows reimbursement for "back-dated" costs incurred on or after July 1, 2017.
- This change does not affect the original reimbursable amount being paid to the South Florida Museum - up to $30,000 per year for up to 8 years. This agreement will terminate in 2026.
- All funds involved are tourism taxes, not ad valorem taxes.
County Attorney Review
Formal Written Review (Opinion memo must be attached)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Send 1 signed original to Monica Luff, CVB
Copy of approved agenda memo to Monica Luff, CVB, email@example.com, and Eva Galler, CVB, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
1030002400 Other Civic Enterprises - CVB
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Up to $30,000 per year; terminating Sept 30, 2026
Attachment: So Fla Museum Agree - amend-restated 2018.pdf
Attachment: Co Atty Memo - So Fla Museum Agree 2018.pdf