|REVISED January 26, 2016 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #63
Approval of Transmittal to the Peace River Manasota Regional Water Supply Authority of Water Supply Projections and future water supply needs from the Authority
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Mark Simpson, Water Division Manager/ x-5258
Approval of letter to the Peace River Manasota Regional Water Supply Authority with revised water supply demands and supply needs from sources developed by the PRMRWSA beginning in the year 2034.
Federal/State law(s), administrative ruling(s), Manatee County Comprehensive Plan/Land Development Code, ordinances, resolutions, policy:
Comprehensive Plan establishes policies for continued coordination with the Peace River Manasota Regional Water Supply Authority. The Amended Interlocal Agreement creating the PRMRWSA established the County Policy to expect future water supply be coordinated with the Authority. This policy has been reaffirmed by the establishment of the Water Planning Alliance by Resolution R-01-183, and the Master Water Supply Contract (October 2005).
- February 1982 – BCC approved and executed the Interlocal Agreement creating the Peace River/Manasota Regional Water Supply Authority (PRMRWSA).
- May 1991 – The BCC approved and executed the amended Interlocal Agreement creating the PRMRWSA, the Acquisition Agreement, and the Peace River Water Supply Contract.
- August 14, 2001 - The BCC approved Resolution R-01-183 setting forth terms and conditions for establishing the Water Planning Alliance and providing for Manatee County’s voluntary participation in the Water Planning Alliance.
- September 20, 2005 - The BCC approved the Master Water Supply Contract with the PRMRWSA which stipulates in Section 11 that each party requesting future water supply from the PRMRWSA must annually submit by January 15th the party’s projected water demands for the next twenty years.
- April 20, 2006 - The BCC approved submittal of projected demands and proposed schedule for Water Supply Development showing the PRMSRWSA delivering 5 mgd beginning in 2014 with deliveries potentially increasing to 20 mgd by 2030.
- The 2007 population projections and estimated water demands resulted in a development schedule that called for the need for additional supply from the Authority in 2017 and reduced overall potential need to 10 mgd between 2017 and 2030.
- Annual population and water demand projections provided by the Manatee County Planning staff in November 2008 and December 2009 reflected a prolonged effect of the economic situation resulting in further reductions in population growth and the subsequent need for additional supply.
- December 2011 - Manatee County Planning staff provided updated population projections reflecting adjustments due to the inclusion of the 2010 census data. This resulted in a decrease of projected water demand of approximately 3 mgd per year, which further shifted the need for further water supply development or potential need of supply from the PRMRWSA until 2034.
- July 2015 - Manatee County Planning staff provided updated population projections which showed a slight increase in projected demands, but continue to suggest the need for additional water supply development or potential need of supply from the PRMRWSA will not be until 2034.
- The 2015 population projections and estimated water demands indicate a need of additional supply of 5 mgd from the PRMRWSA in 2034. Dependent upon the results of the upcoming Minimum Flow determination for the Manatee River by the Southwest Florida Water Management District and the impending recovery strategy, the need for additional supply from the PRMRWSA may be accelerated. It is expected that the annual review of population and demand projections will allow sufficient time to adjust any implementation schedule for additional supply to offset that lost through the implementation of a Minimum Flow schedule.
- The current 2016 submittal to the PRMRWSA reflects current projections and estimated water demands, with notice that Minimum Flow results may affect future supply needs which may be reflected as early as our submittal for next year (2017).
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please mail signed letter w/attachments to the PRMRWSA and provide electronic .pdf copy to Mark Simpson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
To be determined , Utility Rates
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: 2016 PRMRWSA Projections Letter.pdf