|REVISED January 11, 2018 Land Use Meeting|
Agenda Item #13
PDMU-17-03(Z)(P) Cortez Road Investments and Finance, Inc./Hunters Point Resort and Marina 20170107 MEPS654, Quasi-Judicial, Margaret Tusing, Principal Planner
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Margaret Tusing, Principal Planner, 941-748-4501 ext. 6828
Bobbi Roy, Senior Zoning and Planning Tech/Planning Coordinator
941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as stipulated herein, I move to ADOPT Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDMU-17-03(Z)(P); APPROVE the Preliminary Site Plan with Stipulations A.1–A.4, B.1–B.4, C.1–C.6, and D-1; GRANT Special Approval for:
1) a mixed and multiple use project in the RES-9 (Policy 184.108.40.206.4.a.) and ROR (Policy 220.127.116.11.4.a.) Future Land Use Categories,
2) projects for which gross residential density exceeds 6 dwelling units per acre or net residential density exceeds 9 dwelling units per acre in the RES-9 (Policy 18.104.22.168.4.b.) and the ROR (Policy 22.214.171.124.4.b.) Future Land Use Categories,
3) non-residential uses exceeding 30,000 square feet in the RES-9 (Policy 126.96.36.199.4.c.) Future Land Use Category,
4) a project at least partially located within the Coastal Evacuation Area (Policy 188.8.131.52.4.a.) and Coastal High Hazard Area (Policy 184.108.40.206.4.a.),
5) a project located adjacent to perennial stream (Cortez Canal leading to Sarasota Bay) (Policy 220.127.116.11),
6) a project utilizing an Exotic Plant Species Management Plan (Policy 18.104.22.168)
and GRANT Specific Approval for alternatives to LDC Section 401.3.E.9 (Waterfront Yards) to reduce the waterfront setback requirement from 30-feet to 15-feet adjacent to the privately owned canal and LDC Section 1001.6.A.1.c.iv. (Sidewalks) to allow sidewalks to be located on one-side of the street for a project located within a 1500-foot radius of a transit stop; as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• Mr. Caleb Grimes with Grimes Goebel, et al, agent for the property owner, is requesting approval of a Rezone for a portion of the 18.73± acre project and approval of a Preliminary Site Plan for a mixed-use project known as Hunters Point Resort and Marina.
• Current Uses: RV and Boat Storage/Marina/Vacant
• Proposed Uses:
86 single family residential (6.3 du/gross acre; 9.72 du/net acre)
Non-Residential Uses (45,620 square feet)
62 hotel rooms;
Clubhouse, restaurant and retail space to serve guests and residents;
31-slip parallel docking facility along canal; and
1 water taxi slip
• Project Acreage: 18.73 acres
• Project Location: north of Cortez Road, south of Harbour Landings Drive, east of 126th Street West, and west of 123rd Street West in southwestern Manatee County.
• PDMU allows a flexible development approach to encourage:
Innovative Land Use Techniques
Creative Urban Design
• RES-9 (10.55-acres) and ROR (8.18 acres) Future Land Use Categories.
• Special Approvals:
Gross density > 6 du/acre in RES-9
Net density > 9 du/acre in RES-9
Non-residential uses exceeding 30,000 square feet in the RES-9 Future Land Use Categories
Mixed and Multiple Use project in the RES-9 and ROR Future Land Use Categories
Project located at least partially within the Coastal Evacuation Area (CEA) and the Coastal High Hazard Area (CHHA)
Project located adjacent to perennial lake or stream (Cortez Canal leading to Sarasota Bay)
Project utilizing an Exotic Plant Species Management Plan
• Specific Approvals:
LDC Section 401.3.E.9 – Waterfront Yards – Reduce setback from 30-feet to 15-feet
LDC Section 1001.6.A.1.c.iv – Sidewalks within 1500-feet radius of transit stop
• Infill project meeting Comprehensive Plan definition for Mixed or Multiple Use project.
• Open Space: 5.016 acres (26.8%)
• Wetland Acres: None
• Staff recommends approval with Stipulations.
• On December 14, 2017, by a vote of 7 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended approval.
• A summary of the public comments heard at the December 14, 2017 Planning Commission public hearing are in the staff report attached to this memo.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by emails to Matter 2017-0563 on November 8 & 13, 2017.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document and Letter from the Florida Department of State to email@example.com.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - Hunters Point - PDMU-17-30ZP 1-11-18 BCC .pdf
Attachment: 2 - MAPS.pdf
Attachment: 3 - PSP (10-25-17).pdf
Attachment: 4 - Project Narrative-10.9.17.pdf
Attachment: 5 - Emergency Prepardness Plan.pdf
Attachment: 6 - Traffic Impact Statement without appendices.pdf
Attachment: 7 - School Report 11.17.17.pdf
Attachment: 9 - Zoning Disclosure Affidavit.pdf
Attachment: 10 - Newspaper Advertising - 1-11-18BCC.pdf
Attachment: 11 - Rendering.pdf
Attachment: 12 - DOE Zero Energy Ready Home National Program Requirements Rev06.pdf
Attachment: 13 - Ordinance PDMU-17-03ZP Hunters Point.pdf
Attachment: 14 - Public Comments .pdf
Attachment: Request for Additional Time from Applicant.pdf
Attachment: Public Comment.pdf
Attachment: Revised Ordinance in strikethrough underline.pdf