|REVISED February 9, 2016 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #21
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Charlie Hunsicker / Director / x 6001
Mike Whelan / Recreation Division Manager / x 6005
Adoption of Resolution R-16-029, amending R-15-171, and providing for changes of youth camps, aquatics/swim lessons, personal training, preserve classroom and cabin rentals, and preserve camping fees, with an effective date of February 10, 2016.
Parks and Natural Resources Department operations are continually being fine-tuned to meet the needs of the community in the most efficient and economical way possible. The intent is not to compete with private organizations and neighboring communities, but to provide access and services at a cost affordable to all, thereby, affording the opportunity for more citizens to enjoy our county owned and operated facilities.
The fee changes recommended by staff (see attached Fee Schedule) are as follows:
- In order to connect Robinson Preserve to the Florida Circumnavigational Trail (CT) and provide a stopover point on segment 9 of the trail, department staff would like to begin offering individual paddle-up access only campsites for $20 a night on Fridays and Saturdays (p.11/policies and p.33/fees).
- Since the revitalization of the John H. Marble pool, there has been an increasing number of patrons utilizing the pool as well as an increased interest in commercial pool rentals. Staff recommends renting the pool outside of normal operating hours for $30 an hour for three lanes/half the pool and $60 for all six lanes (p.13).
- The G.T. Bray Recreation Center currently has a fee for Personal Trainers to use space in the Fitness Center to train clients. Staff would like to clarify the cost as $7 per half-hour and $10 per hour sessions (p.18).
- Swim Lessons are offered for varying amounts at each of our three county owned and operated pools (G.T. Bray, John H. Marble, and East Bradenton - recently renamed Willie J. "Bro" Clemons, Jr. Pool). For consistency and fairness to all residents interested in swim lessons, all facilities will offer six 30-minute lessons for $25 per individual (p.24) or swim lessons for $17 on four Saturdays for 30-minutes. Aquatic staff would also like to offer a Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Certification class for $225. This certification will allow participants to be trained for instructing group swim lessons.
- Last year, we offered summer camps at G.T. Bray Park and moved the Lakewood Ranch camp to John H. Marble Park. The camps are both very popular, so this year we would like parents to be permitted to secure weeks of camp in advance by placing a $20 deposit for each desired week of camp (p.28). The $20 will go toward their child's weekly registration and will not be otherwise refundable, credited, or transferred at a later week, because of registration limits. Staff also recommends increasing the Youth Camps Program Late Fee for weekly registrations from $10 to $20 (p.28). It is very important for staff to confirm the number of camp participants the Friday before each week of camp begins for planning purposes.
- Jiggs Landing will be in full operation this year. The new vendors are offering cabin, kayak, and canoe rentals, and will be selling bait and tackle, and opening a café too. Staff recommends removing the Rustic Cabin Rentals and related security deposits from the department Fee Schedule (p.31).
- Emerson Point Preserve has a classroom the department would like to make available to the community for meetings, home-school classes, and the like. A nominal fee of $50 an hour ($25 for non-profits) will help cover utility costs and staff time to set up/break down and clean the room (p.31).
Sales tax shall continue to be charged in addition to the fees where no exemption applies and the tax has been imposed by law.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please provide an approved copy of the agenda to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: P&NRD Proposed Fee Schedule with Strike-throughs.pdf
Attachment: P&NRD Proposed Fee Schedule - Feb 10, 2016.pdf
Attachment: Resolution R-16-029 - P&NRD Fee Schedule.pdf