|REVISED February 26, 2013, Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #29
Expenditures for the 2017 World Rowing Championship
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Elliott Falcione, Executive Director, CVB (Presenter) x5913
Monica Luff, Sr. Admin. Specialist (Contact Person) x5913
Approval of the concept to participate with Sarasota County and the Suncoast Aquatic Nature Center Association (SANCA) in the submission of a preliminary bid to host the 2017 World Rowing Championships to be held at Nathan Benderson Park;
Adoption of Budget Amendment Resolution B-13-038 for anticipated expenses needed in FY 2013 to support the bid. Funding to come from Tourist Development Taxes.
- There is an opportunity for Manatee County in a regional partnership with Sarasota County to submit a bid in coordination with SANCA to host the 2017 World Rowing Championship - a major international sporting event - at the Nathan Benderson Park aquatic facility.
- On February 11, 2013, the Tourist Development Council unanimously recommended approval of expenditures and moving forward on the bidding process for the 2017 World Rowing Championships.
- The Rowing Championships Narrative attachment below provides additional information on the economic benefits of hosting this event, background on the process, and budget details.
- SANCA must submit a preliminary (non-binding) bid by the end of February of this year.
- The final bid must be submitted by May 31, 2013, therefore, prior to the submission of the final bid, we will come back to the Board with a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) or other agreement with SANCA providing for our formal committment to the bid.
- The Rowing Federation will award a host community for the 2017 world championship event in September 2013at the 2013 world championship event being held in South Korea.
- Costs for Manatee County are anticipated to be $1,104,740 over a five year period as provided below:
FY 2012-13 $277,000
FY 2013-14 $151,935
FY 2014-15 $181,935
FY 2015-16 $171,935
FY 2016-17 $321,935
- The expenditures include: bid monies required by the Rowing Federation, commercial and television rights, travel expenses, as well as bid monies for a 2016 international rowing test event that would also be held at Nathan Benderson Park.
- All expenditure budgets for this event will come from Tourist Development Tax Funds. Based on current tourist tax revenue collections, reserves, and anticipated future tourist tax revenues, the committements for this event will not have negative impacts on planned expenditures for other marketing and promotional programs.
- Sarasota will also expend at least $1,104,740 for the 2017 World Rowing Championship over the next 5 years.
- These cost figures are preliminary at this time. We will continue to refine and update our bid estimates up until the final bid. If awarded the rowing championship, both counties, SANCA and other participants are committed to take a business-like approach to keeping costs down and maximizing revenues from other sources over the next five years.
- Budget Amendment B-13-138 appropriates $277,000 from reserves in the Tourist Development Fund for the current year (FY2013) portion of the 2017 World Rowing Championship.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
A Request for Legal Services has been submitted to help us develop a Memorandum of Understanding or other agreement detailing the obligations of the county and SANCA for the rowing championship event prior to the submission of the final bid later this spring.
Instructions to Board Records
Copy of approved agenda memo to CVB (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
estimated $1,104,740 over the five year period
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
as oulined in Background/Discussion section
Attachment: Rowing Budget-Narrative-Rationale 2017-FINAL.pdf
Attachment: Budget Amendment Resolution B-13-038.pdf