|REVISED February 24, 2015 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #37
2015 Transportation Project Priorities
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Transportation Planning Division Manager
1) Adopt "Table 1. Manatee County 2015 Transportation Project Priorities" and authorize staff to transmit Table 1 to the Metropolitan Planning Organization and Florida Department of Transportation as County recommendations for the State's FY16/17-FY20/21 Work Program development process.
2) Endorse the February 11, 2015, draft 'Sarasota/Manatee MPO Project Priorities 2015' as the Metropolitan Planning Organization's major project priority list for 2015.
The Sarasota-Manatee Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) requests that each agency review its project priorities prior to MPO Board adoption. This report provides the staff-recommended priority list for 2015. In general, project priorities selected for funding from this list will appear in FY19/20 or FY20/21 of the Florida Department of Transportation’s (FDOT) five-year program approved by the legislature in 2016.
Table 1 presents the staff proposed priorities for 2015. There are separate sections for the new 2015 priorities and the 2014 priorities that were not funded or were only partially funded in the most recent program.
- Major Improvement Project Priorities. Staff recommends a request for continued support of the Advanced Traffic Management System (ATMS). This is not a new project but serves to identify specific components of the overall ATMS project in the MPO plan.
Staff recommends no other changes or clarifications for the major projects. Therefore, staff recommends endorsement of the attached February 11, 2015, draft 'Sarasota/Manatee MPO Project Priorities 2015' as the base list for 2015.
- Congestion Management System (CMS). Most prior year CMS projects were fully funded. Staff recommends the County retain the single 2014 CMS priority that was not funded, make a CMS request for one of 2014's County Incentive Grant Program priorities, and add five new projects.
- Transportation Alternatives/Regional Trails/US 41 Multimodal Emphasis Corridor (MMEC). While FDOT has setaside funds for future MMEC projects, no Manatee County 2014 priorities were funded for MMEC or Transportation Alternatives. Staff recommends resubmitting the 2014 priorities.
- Transportation Regional Incentive Program (TRIP). The 2014 Cortez Road at 43rd Street West project was funded, and staff recommends introducing two new projects.
County action on these priorities is an important step in an approximate 18 month process. Staff submitted draft project information to FDOT and the MPO on February 9, 2015. After the Board's action on the priorities, staff will submit the adopted list to the MPO. MPO staff will work with the advisory committees and MPO Board through spring to prepare a final list. FDOT staff will use the adopted priorities during the Fall 2015 project selection and program development process for a work program that will go into effect July 1, 2016, and the Transportation Improvement Program the MPO Board will adopt in Summer 2016.
- County Incentive Grant Program. This is a State grant program with applications submitted by the County directly to FDOT. Staff recommends resubmitting last year’s 60th Avenue East project and to add a Cortez Road at 75th Street West project. The 2014 SR 70 at Lockwood Ridge Road project is recommended as a CMS project this year.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please return a copy of the approved agenda item to Clarke Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org, 941.708.7450 x7272
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Table1_2015 Transportation Project Priorities.pdf
Attachment: SarasotaManatee MPO Project Priorities 2015 DRAFT.pdf