|Manatee County Government Administrative Building First Floor, Chambers February 2, 2017 - 9:00 a.m.|
Agenda Item #8
PDR-04-39(G)(R2) - The Concession Golf Club Helistop - DTS20150075 - MEPS222 - Quasi-Judicial - Stephanie Moreland, Principal Planner
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Stephanie Moreland, Principal Planner, 941-748-4501 ext. 3880
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator, 941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public hearing, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to ADOPT Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDR-04-39(G)(R2); and APPROVE the General Development Plan with Stipulations 1-30; GRANT Special Approval for a project partially in the Evers Reservoir Watershed Protection Overlay District and Special Treatment Overlay Districts; GRANT Specific Approval for an alternative to Land Development Code Chapter 10, Table 10-2, Note #13 (Parking Ratio), as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• The Concession Golf and Country Club has a total of 1,280.7± acres on the south side of S.R 70, east of Lorraine Road and west of Panther Ridge Subdivision. The site is in the Ag/R/WP-E/ST (Agricultural/Rural/Evers Reservoir Protection Watershed /Special Treatment Overlay Districts) Future Land Use Category (FLUC). Low Intensity Recreational Facilities and Rural Recreational Facilities are listed in the range of potential uses for consideration in Ag/R.
• The Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, Policy 184.108.40.206.4, requires Special Approval for a project in the WO Future Land Use Overlay District. The Land Development Code refers to these areas as Evers Reservoir Watershed Protection (WP-E) and Special Treatment (ST) Overlay Districts.
• Except for a small part of the site (in the northwest corner-adjacent to SR 70) zoned PDC (Planned Development Commercial), most of the site is zoned PDR (Planned Development Residential).
• The site’s eastern boundary is adjacent to property zoned A (General Agriculture) and PDA (Planned Development Agriculture). PDMU (Planned Development Mixed Use) and A zoning districts abut the western boundaries of the site. To the northwest, across S.R. 70, is zoned A (Pomello Park Subdivision and Waterbury Grapefruit Tracts) and PDR (Lakewood National Golf and Country Club and Bridgewater East).
• Manatee County Land Development Code defines ‘accessory use’ as “a use or structure which meets all of the following:
A. Is clearly incidental to, customarily found in association with, and serves a principal use.
• Manatee County Land Development Code, Chapter 4 (Schedule of Uses for PD Districts), identifies a ‘Helistop’ as a permitted use in the PDR zoning district; and LDC Chapter 531.24.A states: “Helistops shall not be located directly adjacent to any residential zoning or uses, except in the A (General Agriculture) districts for private residential uses only.”
• The General Development Plan indicates the private helistop will be approximately 994 feet from the east property line and 2,230 feet from the west property line of The Concession Golf and Country Club. On-site residential structures are 3,550 feet south of the helistop site. The nearest residential use off-site is approximately 1,450 feet away to the east and 2,600 feet from S.R. 70.
• The applicant’s narrative (Project Description) indicates the helistop would have occasional use by a member of the Concession Golf Club, approximately two (2) landings per month and landings would be limited to daylight hours.
• Staff has concerns relative to noise, compatibility and appropriate timing.
• To mitigate the above concerns, Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, Policy 220.127.116.11 lists mitigative techniques such as limits on duration/operation of the use, and noise attenuation. The applicant indicates approximately two daylight landings per month, averaging 24 daylight landings per year.
• In summary, the Land Development Code has limited regulations relative to the use of a private helistop/helipad and its operation. Subsequent to local approval, the FAA regulates the landing area to meet general requirements for safe and efficient use of air space. The Manatee County Comprehensive Plan does not list any type of aviation use or privately-operated airports in the range of potential uses for consideration but allows the golf course as low intensity recreation in the Ag/R FLUC. The proposed private helistop will serve as an accessory use to the golf course and is subject to the criteria listed in LDC Chapter 5 (Standards For Accessory and Specific Uses and Structures).
• Staff recommends approval with stipulations.
• On April 14, 2016, by a vote of 4 – 2, the Planning Commission recommended approval. Mr. Bower voted nay stating helistop doesn’t meet the definition of accessory use and not good for community. Mr. Rhoades voted nay due to incompatible with the surrounding area.
• On May 5, 2016, by a vote of 6 – 0, the Board of County Commissioners continued the public hearing to June 2, 2016. On June 2, 2016, by a vote of 7 – 0, the Board of County Commissioners continued the public hearing to September 1, 2016.
• A summary of the public comments from the April 14, 2016 Planning Commission and June 2, 2016 Board of County Commissioners public hearings are in the staff report attached to this memo.
• The Board of County Commissioners public hearing for September 1, 2016 was cancelled due to Hurricane Hermine. This item was renoticed and readvertised for February 2, 2017.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email to Matter 2016-0203 on March 4, 2016.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document and letter from The Florida Department of State to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Concession Golf Club Helistop - PDR-04-39(G)(R2) - 20150075 - MEPS222.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 2 - Maps FLUC Zoning and aerials.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 3 - Special and Specific Approval request letters.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 4 - Newspaper Advertising.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 5 - General Development Plan.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 6 - Additional presentation time request..pdf
Attachment: Attachment 7 - Request from citizen for extra presentation time..pdf
Attachment: Attachment 8 - Letter from Florida Dept. of Transportation.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 9 - Ordinance PDR-04-39(G)(R2).pdf
Attachment: Attachment 10 - Public Comments.pdf
Attachment: Additional Public Comments - Concession Golf Club Helistop - PDR-04-39(G)(R2).pdf