|REVISED December 16, 2014 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #12
Douglas R. Bloomer (nka Fannie Mae) Code Enforcement Case Number CE2011010173
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Jeff Bowman, Division Chief, Ext. 6854
Motion to reduce the fines for this case to $9,100.00 (as previously recommended by the Special Magistrate on November 26, 2014), subject to the following conditions:
1. The reduced fines shall be paid within 90 days or will revert back to the original fine amount of $91,000.00 for CE2011010173.
2. Recording fees need to be collected, which total $30.00.
3. Building and Development Services Department Director is authorized to sign satisfactions of liens if the reduced fines are paid.
Section 162.09, Florida Statutes (2014)
Below is a summary of Code Enforcement Case No. CE2011010173 against Douglas R. Bloomer, nka Fannie Mae, regarding property located at 5619 6th Street Court East, Bradenton (DP#5787600054):
- January 10, 2011, Code Enforcement received a complaint from the Building Department regarding work that was done without permits.
- January 12, 2011, the Code Enforcement officer observed a re-roof that was done without the required permits and the Certificate of Occupancy/Completion and cited the property owner for violation of Section 512.1 (Building Permits - Purpose and Applicability) and Section 513.1 (Certificate of Occupancy/Completion) of the Manatee County Land Development Code.
- January 13, 2011, a Letter of Violation was sent out certified mail to the property owner and the envelope was returned back to Code Enforcement unclaimed.
- January 31, 2011, the Code Enforcement Officer did a re-investigation and found no permit application on record and scheduled this case to go before the March 23, 2011, Special Magistrate hearing.
- April 15, 2011, the Code Enforcement Officer forwarded this case to the May 25, 2011, Special Magistrate hearing due to insufficient service on the previous hearing notice.
- April 18, 2011, a Notice of Hearing for the May 25, 2011, Special Magistrate was sent out certified mail to the property owner and the green card was returned back to Code Enforcement signed by Doug Bloomer on April 29, 2011.
- May 25, 2011, the Special Magistrate found in violation of Section 512.1 and Section 513.1 and set a compliance date of July 22, 2011, or a minimum fine of $100 and a daily fine of $50 would be imposed for each violation.
- September 21, 2011, the Code Enforcement Officer did a re-inspection and found no permits on record and completed an Affidavit of Non-Compliance to start the fines as previously ordered for Sections 512.1 and 513.1.
- April 7, 2014, Code Enforcement staff started to receive lien requests on this property and it was discovered that the property sold to Fannie Mae on January 16, 2014, and fines were stopped as of that date. The fines totaled $91,000.00.
- July 21, 2014, the listing agent for this property, Jo Ellen Yturraspe with Coldwell Bankers, spoke with Code Enforcement staff about requesting a possible fine reduction and was told once the property was in compliance this could go before the Special Magistrate. Ms. Yturraspe stated Fannie Mae had been advised of the violations and said they would be sending a contractor to the property soon.
- October 17, 2014, the Certificate of Completion for Permit #14091304 was issued and closed. Property is now in compliance.
- October 21, 2014, staff received an e-mail from Ms. Yturraspe requesting a fine reduction and offering to pay 10% of the original fine amount. The Division Chief accepted the 10% offer, which would be $9,100.00, plus recording fees of $30.00, and placed this on the November 26, 2014, Old Business Special Magistrate.
- November 26, 2014, the Special Magistrate recommended that this case be forwarded to the Board of County Commissioners with the recommendation of approval of the request to reduce the fines to $9,100.00, plus recording fees of $30.00.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (Utilizes exact document or procedure approved within the last 18 months)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a stamped copy of the agenda to Administrative Specialist Laurie Menard (email@example.com) in the Code Enforcement Division following disposition.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: BOCC Attachments 12-16-14 Bloomer.pdf