|REVISED December 15, 2015 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #42
Hidden River Trail - Bicycle Prohibition - Ordinance 15-44
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Vishal S. Kakkad, P.E., PTOE, Traffic Design Division Manager, Ext 7812
Sage Kamiya, P.E., PTOE, Deputy Director, Traffic Management, Ext 7425
Authorization to advertise and set a public hearing on
January 12 January 26, 2016, to consider adoption of Ordinance 15-44 creating Section 2-22-8 of the Manatee County Code of Ordinances relating to the prohibition of bicycles on certain county roadways; providing definitions; requiring the erection of appropriate signage; providing for penalties and enforcement; repealing any conflicting ordinances; providing for codification and severability; and providing for an effective date.
Florida State Statutes: Chapter 316.006(3) - Jurisdiction to Control Traffic; Chapter 316.008(1)(g)(h)(n) - Power of Local Authorities
- In 2014, staff was contacted by a resident concerned with bicyclists blocking traffic on Hidden River Trail.
- Staff conducted an investigation and a review of records, and found that some signs were missing pursuant to the signed and sealed engineering and Board of County Commissioners (BCC) approved plans. It was discovered that signs prohibiting the bicycles and golf carts on Hidden River Trail were missing. Therefore, these signs were re-installed on March 27, 2015, by County staff.
- Shortly thereafter, in April 2015, staff was contacted by the Village Idiots Cycling Club (VICC) representatives inquiring about the legality of these signs and insisting these signs be removed. On multiple occasions, staff explained to the representatives the reason behind the signs, the appropriateness of the signs, applicable state statutes, and the BCC's authority to restrict the bicycles.
- Staff also mentioned to the VICC representatives that the Public Works Department is open to reviewing a revised set of signed and sealed plans proposing an alternative to the posted signs. No proposal has been received by the staff.
- Hidden River Trail is a 2-lane roadway with 10 foot travel lanes and intermittent medians between Lakewood Ranch Boulevard and Lorraine Road. There is curb and gutter on both sides of the road. There is also a separate 10 foot wide multi-purpose path, on the north side, parallel to the roadway that can be utilized by pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Therefore, based on the roadway characteristics and geometry, presence of the multi-use path, and pursuant to the previously approved signed and sealed engineering plans, the prohibition of bicycles and golf carts on Hidden River Trail should remain.
- Manatee County Sheriff's Office (MCSO) has indicated they will enforce this restriction following the adoption of an ordinance by the BCC.
County Attorney Review
Formal Written Review (Opinion memo must be attached)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Return a stamped copy of the agenda memorandum to Jeff Bishop (firstname.lastname@example.org), Public Works Department, Traffic Design Division, Ext 7815
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
1010020707 - Traffic Operations
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
$0.00 - Installation, $62/year - Maintenance and Repairs
Attachment: CAO Memo Dated 11-20-15.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance 15-44.pdf
Attachment: Approved Construction Plans_Signing.pdf
Attachment: Hidden River Trail Aerial Map.pdf