|Manatee County Government Administrative Building First Floor, Chambers August 4, 2016 - 9:00 a.m.|
Agenda Item #18
School Consistency Site Review - Proposed High School at Southeast corner of Erie Road and Martha Road Intersection - Lisa Barrett
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Lisa Barrett, Planning Manager, 941-748-4501 ext. 6884
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator, 941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Authorize Chairman to sign attached letter on behalf of the BOCC.
• On June 28, 2016, the Building and Development Services Department received a letter from the Manatee County School Board requesting a Comprehensive Plan consistency review pursuant to Section 1013.33(5), Florida Statutes, for the purchase of property for a high school.
• Pursuant to Florida Statute 1013.33(5), which provides:
(5) To improve coordination relative to potential educational facility sites, a board shall provide written notice to the local government that has regulatory authority over the use of the land consistent with an interlocal agreement entered pursuant to s. 163.31777 at least 60 days prior to acquiring or leasing property that may be used for a new public educational facility. The local government, upon receipt of this notice, shall notify the board within 45 days if the site proposed for acquisition or lease is consistent with the land use categories and policies of the local government’s comprehensive plan. This preliminary notice does not constitute the local government’s determination of consistency pursuant to subsection (6).
• Policy 220.127.116.11 of the Public School Facilities Element of the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan provides: “School sites shall be permissible in all future land use categories except conservation, preservation, or heavy industrial”. This policy is consistent with Section 9.2.B. of the Amended and Restated Interlocal Agreement for Public School Facility Planning among the School Board, the County and participating municipalities (the “Interlocal Agreement”).
• The Future Land Use Category for the Site is UF-3. Accordingly, staff finds that the Site is consistent with the land use categories and policies of the County’s comprehensive plan within the meaning of Florida Statute 1013.33(5). This preliminary notice does not constitute the County’s final Determination of Consistency with the Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code pursuant to 1013.33(6) Florida Statues.
• A Determination of Consistency for the Site will be governed by Section 352 of the County’s Land Development Code (“Code”), consistently with Section 9.2.C of the Interlocal Agreement. Matters relating to project design, compatibility and infrastructure impacts must be addressed during the consideration of a Determination of Consistency, pursuant to and in accordance with Code Section 352, once the School Board submits a complete application pursuant to Code Section 352.3.A.
• Staff recommends the Board Chairman sign the attached letter on behalf of the Board.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
William Clague reviewed and responded by email.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward the original signed letter to Bobbi Roy, Building and Development Services.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Letter from School Board 6-20-16.pdf
Attachment: Staff Analysis.pdf
Attachment: Consistency Letter for Signature by Chairman.pdf
Attachment: 2005 Consistency Review.pdf