|REVISED August 27, 2013 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #15
2017 World Rowing Championships Reimbursement Agreement
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Elliott Falcione, Executive Director, CVB (Presenter) x5913
Monica Luff, Sr. Admin. Specialist (Contact Person) x5913
Approval of the Reimbursement Agreement with Sarasota County and the Suncoast Aquatic and Nature Center Associates, Inc. (SANCA) for the 2017 World Rowing Championships.
F.S. 125.0104 Authorized uses of Resort Tax Funds
- On June 27, 2013, SANCA and U.S. Rowing submitted the final documents for the Sarasota-Bradenton Bid to host the 2017 World Rowing Championships at Nathan Benderson Park (NBP) to the "Federation Internationale des Societes d'Aviron" (FISA).
- On July 14, 2013, a delegation of representatives from U.S. Rowing, SANCA, Sarasota and Manatee Counties, Visit Sarasota County and the Bradenton Area Convention & Visitors Bureau made a presentation to the FISA Council in Switzerland.
- The first week of August 2013, the FISA Council announced the Sarasota-Bradenton bid has been recommended to host the 2017 World Rowing Championships. The FISA Council recommendation must be approved by the FISA Congress in a vote on September 2, 2013, in South Korea.
- Should the Sarasota-Bradenton bid win the 2017 World Rowing Championships, the FISA Event and Commercial Rights Agreement will be executed by SANCA. Since Sarasota and Manatee Counties will not be parties to these agreements, FISA is requiring evidence of an agreement between the counties and SANCA for the 2017 World Rowing Championships.
- The Manatee County Commission on June 6, 2013 approved the submission of the final bid to FISA and a letter of financial committment to support the 2017 World Rowing Championships up to $2,782,000.
- Both counties will be considering approval of the Reimbursement Agreement on August 27, 2013, in advance of the announcement of the award of the bid on September 2, 2013.
- The agreement has been reviewed by SANCA, as well as Manatee & Sarasota County Attorney's Offices.
- Key provisions of the agreement include the following:
- Limits Manatee County's financial commitment to a maximum of $2,782,000 for the 2017 World Rowing Championships per letter previously approved by the Board on June 6, 2013.
- Provides that the counties may also contribute in-kind services or items to mitigate offsite impacts as a result of the event.
- Defines the process for SANCA to request reimbursement from the counties.
- Requires a representative from each county, Bradenton Area CVB, and Visit Sarasota County be appointed to the Event Committee.
- Requires SANCA to maintain a separate account and financial records for the 2017 World Rowing Championships.
- Requires SANCA to provide evidence of sufficient funds or credit to pay the expenditures needed to perform the Event Agreement. The agreement also provides for Benderson Development Corporation to guarantee the committments of SANCA in the Reimbursement Agreement.
- Encourages the use of local subcontractors. Waives the counties' purchasing policies and procedures. Requires a competitive process for purchases greater than $50,000.
- Requires SANCA to retain 1) individuals or firms with experience and expertise in fundraising and 2) individuals or firms with experience and expertise in international event management by specific dates.
- Provides for termination of the Agreement by the Counties in the event of breach of the Agreement, including breach of the FISA Agreements and/or failure by SANCA to timely plan, stage, or host the event. SANCA will be provided 60 days to cure the breach or failure to act. If the Agreement with SANCA is terminated, all records and funds will be transferred by SANCA to the counties and SANCA will assign its rights under the Event and Commercial Rights Agreements with FISA to the counties.
- Provides for termination of the Agreement by SANCA with three months written notice and transfer of all records and funds to the counties and assignment of its rights with FISA.
- Given the potential significant economic impact of the 2017 World Rowing Championships and the requirement by FISA to provide evidence of and an agreement, staff recommends approval of the Reimbursement Agreement with Sarasota County and SANCA.
County Attorney Review
Formal Written Review (Opinion memo must be attached)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Send executed originals of agreement to Monica Luff, CVB; CVB will forward to SANCA.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
up to $2,782,000
Attachment: 2017 World Rowing Championships Reimbursement Final.pdf