|REVISED August 25, 2015 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #43
Golf Cart Use on County Roads, Crossings, and Sidewalks
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Vishal S. Kakkad, PE, PTOE, Traffic Design Division Manager, Ext. 7812
Sage Kamiya, PE, PTOE, Deputy Director-Traffic Management, Ext. 7425
Authorization to advertise and set a public hearing on September 22, 2015, to consider the adoption of Ordinance No. 15-34 and Ordinance No. 15-36, amending Section 2-22-9 and creating Section 2-22-9.5 of the Manatee Code of Ordinances, respectively, relating to the designation of certain county roads, crossings, and sidewalks permitting the operation of golf carts.
Florida Statute (F.S.) Section 316.008(n) - Power of Local Authorities
F.S. Section 316.212 - Operation of Golf Carts on Certain Roadways
- At the Board of County Commissioners (BCC) regular meeting on September 23, 2014, the Board adopted Resolution No. R-14-52, Procedures and Criteria Relating To Designation of Public Rights-Of-Way For Operation of Golf Carts.
- A request was initiated from local residents within Heather Hills Estates and the Village of Cortez requesting golf cart operations on roads within their communities. In accordance with Manatee County Resolution 14-52, the local communities provided letters to the Public Works Department documenting over 67% support in the study areas. As a result, the Department evaluated the roadways and determined that the operation of golf carts is appropriate. Ordinance No. 15-34 permits golf cart use on county roadways within Heather Hills Estates and the Village of Cortez.
- Also, during a previous golf cart use work session with the BCC, staff discussed engaging the communities with existing golf cart use ordinances to seek their input regarding the need and use of golf carts in these areas. As a result, staff met with the Palm Aire Communities Council (PACC) on 5/20/15, the Tara Master Association on 5/28/15, the El Conquistador community on 6/16/15, and the River Club Homeowners Association on 7/7/15.
- Staff presented information on golf cart use in these areas. Staff informed local residents of a future ordinance amendment to revise existing roadways and crossing locations. These revisions include changes to outdated street names, clarify roadway boundaries, remove private roadways, and revise crossing locations, which are also encompassed in Ordinance No. 15-34.
- Furthermore, staff recommends the removal of Whitfield Avenue, Tara Boulevard, and El Conquistador Parkway as golf cart designated roadways. Staff explained the engineering evaluation; emphasized the functional classification of these roadways as thoroughfares; and discussed traffic volumes, speeds, character of motor vehicles using the roadways, and surrounding land use and access points. As an alternative to the roads and streets, staff proposes designating county sidewalks in the El Conquistador and Palm Aire communities for operation of golf carts. Ordinance No. 15-36 permits golf cart use on county sidewalks adjacent to El Conquistador Parkway and Whitfield Avenue.
- Public Works Department staff has coordinated with the County Attorney's Office in preparation of Ordinance No. 15-34 and Ordinance No. 15-36 to formalize staff's recommendations for a public hearing.
- Copies of proposed Ordinance No. 15-34 and Ordinance No. 15-36 are attached.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Maureen Sikora has reviewed and prepared Ordinance No. 15-34 and Ordinance No. 15-36.
Instructions to Board Records
Return a stamped copy of the agenda memorandum to Jeff Bishop (email@example.com), Public Works Department, Traffic Design Division, Ext 7815.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
1010020707 - Traffic Operations
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
$250 per sign installation and $50 per year per sign maintenance
Attachment: golf carts. county roads. Ordinance No. 15-34.pdf
Attachment: golf carts. sidewalks. Ordinance No. 15-36.pdf