|REVISED August 22, 2017 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #45
FFY 2017 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Presenter: Cheri Coryea, Director, ext. 3468
Contact: Lynette Miralla-Ramirez, ext. 3484
- Approval of FFY 2017 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) from the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) in the amount of $113,322 as recommended by the Public Safety Coordinating Council.
- Adoption of Resolution R-17-095 authorizing the submission and acceptance of FFY 2017 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant from the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA), designating the Public Safety Coordinating Council (PSCC) as the grant advisory board, authorizing the Chairman, the County Administrator, or the Deputy County Administrator to execute documents regarding grant submission and acceptance, and authorizing the Neighborhood Services Department Director, or her designee to execute documents regarding grant administrative functions.
- Authorization for the Chairman to sign the Certification and Assurances by the Chief Executive of the Applicant Government as required.
- Authorization for the County Attorney as Chief Legal Officer to sign the Certification of Compliance with 8 U.S.C. § 1373 on behalf of Manatee County as required by the Office of Justice Programs of the U.S. Department of Justice.
F.S. Chapter 125
- Notice has been received that Manatee County is eligible for a FFY 2017 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) in the amount of $113,322. The funding coincides with the time period of October 1, 2017, through September 20, 2018. No grant match is required.
- These JAG funds are recurring, although funding amounts may differ each year. Deadline for grant submission is September 5, 2017.
- Following discussion at its meeting of April 19, 2017, the Public Safety Coordinating Council (PSCC) recommended Manatee County apply for these Justice Assistance Grants funds.
- On August 21, 2017 the PSCC recommended these BJA JAG Direct funds be used to assist the Manatee County Drug Court Program.
- These funds will be combined with a portion of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) state JAG allocation to continue contractual services with Centerstone of Florida, Inc., until September 30, 2018. The contract provides addiction counseling and ancillary services to Drug Court participants. Please note that State JAG Countywide allocation has not been released yet.
- Opportunity for public comment regarding this grant was provided during PSCC meeting on August 21, 2017, and through inclusion of this item on the Boards meeting agenda today, satisfying a grant requirement for public comment.
- Additional certifications and assurances are new requirements from the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) in order to receive funds from the Agency and incorporated as part of the application process .
- Required funding agreements between the County and the grant funding recipients will be approved after the BJA grant award is received.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
TIME SENSITIVE MATERIAL.
Please contact Community Services Division to pick up Original signed Resolution, Certification and Assurances by the Chief Executive of the Applicant Government, and the FY 2017 Certification of Compliance with 8 U.S.C. 1373 by the Chief Legal Officer.
A copy of the application will be provided to Board Records at the time that official award documents are received.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
$113,322 - Acccount to be determined
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: BJA local solicitation 2017.pdf
Attachment: BJA 2017 local allocation list.pdf
Attachment: Local Government Certification 2017.pdf
Attachment: Certification and Assurances by Chief Executive 2017.pdf
Attachment: Resolution R-17-095 BJA JAG 2017.pdf