|REVISED April 9, 2013 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #11
Dana Pounds Day
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Board of County Commissioners
Adoption of Proclamation designating April 20, 2013, as "Dana Pounds Day" in Manatee County, Florida.
- Dana Pounds is the Co-Founder and Executive Director of Nature’s Academy, Inc., which is a non-profit environmental educational company based in Manatee County.
- The staff of Nature's Academy has over a decade of experience teaching environmental conservation in Florida. Their programs aim to educate individuals about the complexity of Earth’s ecosystems and inspire them to become better stewards of our limited resources.
- They provide hands-on programs which immerse participants in the learning environment. Experiential learning encourages participants to become the captain of their own educational experience. Topics include ecology, marine science, biology, botany, physics, chemistry and astronomy. Classes end their programs with a beach clean up and weigh their bags of refuse to quantify their results.
- They have taught, to date, over 4,000 Manatee County 5th graders about the special environmental challenges presented to barrier islands on the west coast of Florida through programs presented at Coquina Beach Bayside Park in partnership with the County's beach concessionaire, United Park Services, Manatee County Schools, and Manatee County Government, among others.
- Local teachers find this particular program enriches and compliments their classroom lesson plans and effectively provides knowledge of the environment to their students in a way that they could not without Dana and her excellent staff.
- Dana Pounds has been recognized by the Tampa Bay Lightning as a Community Hero and presented her with a check for $50,000 to be spent on environmental programming.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please return a copy of the approved agenda to Cynthia Gray of the Parks and Recreation Department (email@example.com).
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Dana Pounds Day - 04.09.13.pdf