|Manatee County Government Administrative Building First Floor Chambers 9:00 am - April 5, 2018|
Agenda Item #9
PA-18-02/Ordinance 18-17 - Ecoplexus, Inc - Alternative Energy Generation Facility, Legislative, Margaret Tusing, Principal Planner
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Margaret Tusing, Principal Planner, 941-748-4501 ext. 6828
Bobbi Roy, Senior Planning & Zoning Tech/Planning Coordinator
941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Based upon the evidence presented, comments made at the public hearing, the technical support documents, the action of the Planning Commission and finding the request to be consistent with the Community Planning Act, as codified in applicable portions of Chapter 163, Part II, Florida Statutes, and the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, I move to Transmit PA-18-02, as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Florida Statutes, Chapter 163, Part II
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• Ms. Diane Chadwick and Mr. Josh Philpott of Stantec are the agents for Ecoplexus, Inc. This is a privately-initiated Text Amendment to the Comprehensive Plan to clarify where alternative energy generation facilities are appropriate.
• Current regulations place solar arrays and other alternative energy sources into the same classification as traditional coal, oil, and gas-fired power generation facilities thereby requiring them to locate in the P/SP(1) future land use classification which requires a rezoning to PDPI. The proposed privately-initiated Comprehensive Plan Text Amendment proposes the following changes:
o Element 1 Definitions add specific definitions for Alternative Energy Generation Facility, Low-Temperature Thermal Power, Photovoltaic (PV) Solar Power, Solar Array, and Solar Field, Utility Use, and Utility Use, Heavy.
o Element 2 Future Land Use revise Policy 22.214.171.124 to encourage the development and use of renewable energy resources.
o Element 3 Conservation add Goal 3.5 (promote the development and use of alternative energy generation facilities) and Objective 3.5.1 (Alternative Energy Generation Facilities).
• The proposed changes will provide Manatee County the framework to update the existing Land Development Code to incorporate development standards for alternative energy generation facilities. Upon adoption of the Comprehensive Plan Text Amendment, the privately-initiated Text Amendments to the Land Development Code (LDCT-18-01/Ordinance 18-18) will be scheduled for public hearing.
• Staff recommends transmittal of the Comprehensive Plan Text Amendment.
• On March 8, 2018, by a vote of 5 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended Transmittal. Mr. Rutledge and Mr. DeLesline were absent.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded to Matter 2018-0056 on February 7, 2018.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward the original signed transmittal letter to Bobbi Roy/Building and Development Services for distribution to the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - PA-18-02-ORD-18-17 - Ecoplexus, Inc. - Solar.pdf
Attachment: 2 Ordinance.pdf
Attachment: 3 - Transmittal Letter for DEO for Signature.pdf
Attachment: 4 - Newspaper Advertising.pdf