|REVISED April 4, 2017 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #62
2017 State of EMS and Write Off of Uncollectible EMS Ambulance Fees
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Paul DiCicco, EMS Chief - Ext 1645
Renée Isrel, Chief Administrative Officer - Ext 1649
Report on the 2017 State of EMS.
Authorization to remove uncollectible accounts for ambulance user fees, totaling $3,375,262.93 from the active accounts receivables and to adjust receivable accounts totaling $12,446.98 in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
Resolution R-13-196, Section Three: Adjustment of EMS user fees, Subsection G, Adjustment of Accounts Receivable. Florida Statutes Chapter 125--Home rule authority.
Resolution R-13-196 for adjustment to appropriate receivable accounts.
- This agenda item is two-fold. First, to take the opportunity to provide a report on the current state of our EMS operations and second to request authorization to write-off and adjust EMS Billing accounts receivables.
- Manatee EMS handles approximately 50,000 911 call for service each year. Of these 50,000 calls, EMS transports approximately 32,000 patients to local hospitals.
- Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics collect data in the field which includes patient demographic information. These reports, upon completion, are transmitted to our third-party billing company for medical coding and subsequent patient invoicing.
- Manatee County ambulance billing services is currently contracted with PST Services, Inc., a McKesson Company.
EMS enjoys an approximate 67 percent net collection rate, meaning that approximately two-thirds of our billable calls for service are collected.
- After PST Services, Inc., has made a reasonable effort to collect on an account (three invoice cycles), they remove the accounts from the accounts receivable ledger as an uncollectible amount.
- Accounts determined to be uncollectible by PST Services, Inc., are turned over to Professional Recovery Consultants, Inc., Manatee County’s contracted collection agency, for further pursuance of the receivable.
- PST Services, Inc., procedures require these amounts also be removed from the active accounts receivable ledger. Uncollectible accounts for ambulance user fees, as submitted by PST Services, Inc., for the period of June 2016 through January 2017 total $3,375,262.93. These accounts range from FY2009 through FY2016, and have been sent to the collection agency for continued collection efforts and are requested for write-off. Details are provided in Attachment A.
- Adjustments as submitted by PST Services, Inc., as of June 2016 - January 2017 are included in Attachment B, totaling $12,446.98.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Copy of approved agenda to: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
$3,375,262.93 and $12,446.98 001-0000000115113 General Fund
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Attachment A.pdf
Attachment: Attachment B.pdf