|REVISED April 21, 2015 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #18
Florida Department of Corrections Contract WS991
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Charlie Hunsicker, Director
Authorization for the Chairman to execute Florida Department of Corrections Contract WS991 to provide Florida Department of Corrections work squad for the Parks & Natural Resources Department.
- With the Parks & Natural Resources Department managing and maintaining approximately 30,000 acres of conservation lands, utilizing inmate labor is a valuable resource and provides cost savings. The Hardee Correctional Institution has provided approximately 8,000 hours of inmate labor annually for use at county preserves under annual agreements executed by the Board. The assistance of inmate labor has been instrumental in accomplishing the amount of work that is required in the maintenance of our environmental preserves.
- On July 30, 2013, Work Squad Contract WS852 between the Florida Department of Corrections and Manatee County Board of County Commissioners was approved. The contract provided for a dedicated inmate labor work squad for one year to provide land management services and work on county managed lands under the supervision of the Department of Corrections.
- On June 17, 2014, WS852 Amendment #1 renewed the contract for one year, extending the contract to September 22, 2015.
- The attached Work Squad Contract WS991 replaces the current contract WS852. This contract is for three years, beginning September 23, 2015, and ending September 22, 2018, with a renewal option at the County's initiative for one additional three year period under the same terms and conditions.
- Staff recommends acceptance of Work Squad Contract WS991.
- Funding Source is the Water/Sewer Watershed Management Fund.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (Utilizes exact document or procedure approved within the last 18 months)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Return two executed original agreements to Jayne Roberts, Parks & Natural Resources Department, for transmittal to the Florida Department of Corrections.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: DOC contract #WS991.pdf