|REVISED April 12, 2016 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #31
Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grant and Section 5339 Bus & Bus Facilities Program Grants; Federal Fiscal Year 2016 Appropriations
Contact and/or Presenter Information
William Steele, Transit Division Manager, William.Steele@mymanatee.org, (941) 747-8621 x7440
Chad Butzow, P.E., Deputy Director of Field Operations Services, Chad.Butzow@mymanatee.org, (941) 708-7450 x7432
Adopt Resolution R-16-046 to authorize the submittal of applications and acceptance of Federal Transit Administration (FTA) appropriation grant funds for approximately $3,934,752 (5307) and $389,591 (5339) to support Transit related capital and operating expenses.
Chapter 341, Florida Statutes; Rule 41-2, Florida Administrative Code; Federal Transit Administration Act 1964; Comprehensive Plan 6.0 Mass Transit Element; Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21); Chapter 53 of Title 49, United States Code; The Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act.
- FTA's public transportation assistance program authorization is provided by Chapter 53 of Title 49, United States Code. The Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act (Pub L.114-94, December 4, 2015) made certain changes to Chapter 53 and provided contract authority and general fund authorizations for FTA's public transportation assistance programs for five years (Fiscal Years 2016 through 2020). This is commonly referred to as the "Reauthorization" for federal transportation programs.
- FTA's full-year appropriations, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2016, Pub.L.114-113 (December 18, 2014), was enacted in December 2015, giving FTA appropriated resources for FY 2016 for administrative expenses, Capital Investment Grants (CIG), and grants to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority. The Appropriation Act of 2016 also provides a full fiscal year obligation limitation of $9,347,604,043 of contract authority for FTA programs funded from the Mass Transit Account of the Highway Trust Fund during this fiscal year.
- The FY 2016 Section 5307 Urbanized Area apportionment for the Sarasota/Bradenton, FL UZA is $7,869,503 (Table 3, FTA Federal Register). Sarasota County and Manatee County split these funds equally per executed Interlocal Agreement. Based on the approval split, MCAT will receive $3,934,752 of the appropriated FTA Section 5307 funds.
- The Manatee County application for FTA Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grant funds will include funding for preventive maintenance, planning, computer hardware & software, purchase/lease of miscellaneous support equipment, purchase/installation of passenger amenities, office furniture, computers, and items required to make the new transit and fleet administrative building complete and useable for employees. Also included are the purchase and installation of security equipment necessary for the security of fleet and facilities, employee education/training, operation assistance funds, contingency, and project administration.
- The FTA Section 5307 grant funding is listed in the STIP for FDOT, item No. 4101481. To meet grant criteria, a 20% local share is required for capital projects and 50% local share is required for operating assistance projects. MCAT is coordinating with FDOT on Transportation Development Credits in the amount of *$858,688 to be used for the 20% local match for the capital portion of the FTA grant *(1.25 x $3,434,752 = $4,293,440 - $3,434,752 = $858,688). The local match of $500,000 for operating assistance funds will be provided via the FY 2016/17 Transit Operating Budget.
- The FY 2016 Section 5339 Bus and Bus Facilities Apportionment for the Sarasota/Bradenton UZA is $779,181 (Table 12, FTA Federal Register). Sarasota County and Manatee County split these funds equally per executed Interlocal Agreement. Based on the approval split, MCAT will receive $389,591 of the appropriated FTA Section 5339 funds.
- The Manatee County application for the FTA Section 5339 Bus and Bus Facilities Formula Grant will include funding for the purchase/installation of passenger amenities (i.e. shelters, landing pads, benches, trash receptacles, etc.), facility upkeep, and rehabilitation and repair of capital assets to maximize useful life.
- The FTA Section 5339 grant funding is listed in the STIP for FDOT, item No. 4345172. To meet grant criteria, a 20% local share is required for capital projects. MCAT is coordinating with FDOT on Transportation Development Credits in the amount of *$97,398 to be used for the 20% local match for the capital portion of the FTA grant *(1.25 x $389,591 = $486,989 - $389,591 = $97,398).
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (Utilizes exact document or procedure approved within the last 18 months)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please provide two (2) certified copies of Resolution R-16-046 and a copy of the minutes to Edrick Sweeting, Grants Administrator, Public Works Department, Transit Division, (941) 708-7450 x7354, Edrick.Sweeting@mymanatee.org.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
435-0012000 Transit Operating: $500,000; FY16 Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grant Funds, $3,934,752; FY16 Section 5339 Bus & Bus Facilities Formula Grant Funds, $389,591.
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
The funds are budgeted for FY2016-2017 and funds would be budgeted for FY2017-18
Attachment: FTA FY 2016 Apportionment Table-5307 Table 3.pdf
Attachment: FTA FY 2016 Apportionment Table-5339 Table 12.pdf
Attachment: Resolution R-16-046 - FTA 5307 & 5339.pdf