|REVISED - September 29, 2020 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #10
Approval and Execution of Sponsorship Agreement for World's Strongest Man Event
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Presenter: Elliott Falcione, Executive Director, Convention and Visitors Bureau, x3940
Contact: Monica Luff, Sr. Administrative Specialist, Convention and Visitors Bureau, x3944
Approval and authorization for the Chairperson to execute Sponsorship Agreement with Trans World International LLC (IMG Academy) for promotion of the World's Strongest Man event to be held in the Bradenton Area.
Florida Statute 125.0104 Authorized uses of Resort Tax Collections
- On December 9, 2019, the Tourist Development Council unanimously recommended approval of expenditures up to $200,000 (budgeted) to sponsor the World's Strongest Man event to be held in the Bradenton Area in 2020.
- On January 14, 2020, the County Commissioners approved the initiative which was to be held at Premier Sports Campus in May 2020. However, due to COVID, the dates and location of the event have changed.
- The Bradenton Area will serve as host to the World's Strongest Man Competition (WSM) to be held on November 11 - 15, 2020, at Manatee Public Beach. The competition will take place without a viewing crowd due to COVID. The venue will have an exterior fencing with mesh and will be produced for television.
- The City of Holmes Beach has embraced the event.
- The event will be aired throughout the year in the domestic and global television markets with social media promotions.
- Viewership demographic aligns with our target visitor demographic.
- There is an estimated 2.9 million impressions, globally.
- The competition has more than 333,000 Facebook followers and nearly 90,000 Instagram followers and an international viewership of an estimated 220 million, all of whom will be exposed to the Bradenton Area throughout the airing of the competition, leading to increased brand recognition and visitation.
- WSM will air on CBS national and CBS sports as well as UK station Channel 5.
- The Bradenton Area Convention and Visitors Bureau will receive integrated brand awareness with this partnership with WSM through strategic advertising, guaranteeing destination ads reach the expansive viewership (220 million+) and drive them to the destination's website for more information.
- The total ad value of the package is $2.5 million.
- Event personnel will help stimulate business for short-term rentals, restaurants, rental companies, etc.
- The sponsorship agreement term expires January 31, 2021.
- All funds involved will be tourism taxes, not ad valorem taxes.
County Attorney Review
Formal Written Review (Opinion memo must be attached)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Send one fully executed sponsorship agreement to Monica Luff, CVB.
Copy of approved agenda memo to Monica Luff and Eva Galler, firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
1030002202 - CVB Promotions
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
up to $200,000 (one time expenditure; initial commitment approved by BCC on January 14, 2020)
Attachment: Co Atty Memo WSM 2020.pdf
Attachment: WSM Sponsor Agreement 2020.pdf