|REVISED - September 29, 2020 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #48
Discussion of On-going Issues Relative to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic; Adoption of Resolution R-20-154, amending Resolution R-20-116 to Limit its Duration; Extension of the Local State of Emergency; Extension of the Duration of Resolution R-20-116
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Cheri Coryea, County Administrator, ext. 3468
Jacob Saur, Public Safety Director, ext. 3585
- I move to adopt Resolution R-20-154, amending Resolution R-20-116 to limit its duration.
- I move to extend the local State of Emergency for an additional seven days.
- I move to extend the duration of Resolution R-20-116, requiring face coverings, to and through October 13, 2020.
Sections 252.38 and 252.46, Florida Statutes
Section 2-13-17 of the Manatee County Code
- In March of 2020, the Board of County Commissioners adopted Resolutions R-20-041 and R-20-045 declaring a local state of emergency related to COVID-19.
- On April 1, 2020, Governor Ron DeSantis issued Executive Orders 20-91 and 20-92, setting forth essential services and activities during the COVID-19 emergency.
- On April 3, 2020, to further combat the spread of COVID-19, and to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the citizenry, the Board of County Commissioners adopted Resolution R-20-053, a supplemental resolution of the Board reaffirming a state of local emergency, establishing a curfew, prohibiting social gatherings of ten or more people, providing for enforcement on both public and private properties, and providing for penalties.
- On April 10, 2020, the Board adopted Resolution R-20-056 reaffirming the State of Local Emergency; amending the local curfew; prohibiting gatherings of ten or more people; providing for enforcement on public property and in public spaces; providing guidelines when dealing with homeless persons; and providing for penalties.
- At their meeting on April 17, 2020, the Board authorized and directed the Board Chair to extend the curfew set forth in Resolution R-20-056 through Tuesday, April 21, 2020. The Board subsequently rescinded the curfew at their April 21 meeting.
- At the Board's meeting of April 28, 2020, the County Administrator provided a report on efforts to draft re-entry processes throughout the County.
- On April 29, 2020, Governor DeSantis issued Executive Order 20-112 outlining Phase 1 for a Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step. Plan for Florida's Recovery.
- Executive Order 20-114 was issued on May 8, 2020, extending the State of Emergency for the State of Florida for 60 days.
- On May 15, 2020, Governor DeSantis issued Executive Order 20-123 outlining the Full Phase 1 of the Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step. Plan for Florida's Recovery.
- Executive Order 20-139 was issued by the Governor on June 3, 2020 (effective June 5, 2020) and outlined Phase 2 of the Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step. Plan for Florida's Recovery.
- On July 7, 2020, Executive Order 20-166 was issued to extend the State of Emergency for the State of Florida for 60 days.
- On July 27, 2020, the Board adopted Emergency Resolution R-20-116 addressing a mandate for Face Coverings during the local State of Emergency period.
- At the Board's meeting of August 25, 2020, houses of worship were exempted from the requirements of Resolution R-20-116. Subsequently, on September 15, 2020, the Board adopted Resolution R-20-139 to include this change.
- Executive Order 20-213, extending the State of Emergency for the State of Florida, was issued by Governor DeSantis on September 4, 2020.
- On September 15, 2020, the Board directed the County Attorney's Office to bring back an amendment to Resolution R-20-116 to require it to be reviewed by separate vote at each meeting. Resolution R-20-154 is attached for the Board's consideration.
- Executive Order 20-244, Phase 3; Right to Work; Business Certainty; Suspension of Fines, was issued by the Governor on September 25, 2020.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Chief Assistant County Attorney Bill Clague prepared Resolution R-20-154.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: R-20-041 - Declaration of Emergency (March 16).pdf
Attachment: R-20-045 - Declaration of Emergency (March 24).pdf
Attachment: Governor's Executive Order 20-91.pdf
Attachment: Governor's Executive Order 20-92.pdf
Attachment: R-20-053 - Reaffirming Emergency - Establishing Curfew (April 3).pdf
Attachment: R-20-056 - Reaffirming Emergency - Extending Curfew (April 10).pdf
Attachment: County Administrator's April 28 Report on Reopening Strategies.pdf
Attachment: Governor's Executive Order 20-112.pdf
Attachment: Task Force Report - Safe-Smart-Step by Step Plan for Florida's Recovery.pdf
Attachment: Governor's Executive Order 20-114.pdf
Attachment: Governor's Executive Order 20-123.pdf
Attachment: Plan for Florida's Recovery - Full Phase 1 Outline.pdf
Attachment: Governor's Executive Order 20-139.pdf
Attachment: FAQs for Florida's Phase 2 Plan.pdf
Attachment: Governor's Executive Order 20-166.pdf
Attachment: R-20-116 - Face Coverings.pdf
Attachment: R-20-139 - Face Coverings.pdf
Attachment: Governor's Executive Order 20-213.pdf
Attachment: Resolution R-20-154.pdf
Attachment: Governor's Executive Order 20-244.pdf
Attachment: On-going Response to COVID 19 Pandemic - 09292020 Presentation.pdf
Attachment: Week 22 Re-opening Strategies Report - 092920 Presentation.pdf
Attachment: Public Comments.pdf