|REVISED - October 8, 2019 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #49
Multi-way Stop Installation - 5th Street West at 67th Avenue West
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Vishal S. Kakkad, P.E., PTOE, Traffic Design Division Manager, Ext. 7812
Authorization to install a multi-way stop for the intersection of 5th Street West at 67th Avenue West.
Florida State Statutes: Chapter 316.006 - Jurisdiction to Control Traffic; Chapter 316.008(1)(f) - Powers of Local Authorities
- A request was received to install a multi-way stop at the intersection of 5th Street West at 67th Avenue West.
- State Law requires the installation of all traffic control devices, including stop signs, to meet State standards adopted by the Florida Department of Transportation. The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) published by the U.S. Department of Transportation is the national standard for traffic control devices and has been adopted by the State and also the County's Land Development Code (LDC).
- In accordance with MUTCD standards, a traffic investigation and a multi-way stop study was conducted. While traffic volumes and crashes alone did not meet MUTCD criteria for a multi-way stop, there are other criteria to be considered in an engineering study. For example, at locations where a road user after stopping, cannot see conflicting traffic. Staff observed a lack of visibility for the eastbound traffic. Therefore, a multi-way stop is warranted per MUTCD standards.
- In addition to the limited visibility, there is a significant dip in the roadway forcing both the southbound and northbound traffic to slow and use caution.
- Due to these reasons, staff recommends the installation of a multi-way stop at this location.
- The cost to install the traffic signs for this multi-way stop would be approximately $1,000. The cost to install pavement markings would be approximately $500. The total cost would be approximately $1,500.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please send a stamped copy of the agenda memorandum to Jeff Bishop (email@example.com), Public Works Department, Traffic Design Division, Ext. 7815.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
$1,500, 1010020707, Traffic Operations, Traffic Control Device Installation
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
$187/yr. - Maintenance & Repairs
Attachment: Multi-Way Stop Location.pdf