|REVISED - November 12, 2015 - Planning Commission Meeting|
Agenda Item #4
PDR-14-03(P) – Ellenton Landings, LLC / Ellenton Landings (DTS #20140034) - Quasi-Judicial - Rossina Leider
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Rossina Leider, Planner
Danielle Walker, Planning Tech II
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to recommend APPROVAL of the Preliminary Site Plan PDR-14-03(P) with Stipulations A.1-A.6, B.1, C.1, D.1, E.1, and F.1-F.6; GRANTING Special Approval for a project: 1) exceeding a gross density of 4.5 dwelling units per acre in the RES-6 Future Land Use Category (FLUC); 2) exceeding a net density of 6 dwelling units per acre in the RES-6 FLUC; and 3) exceeding a gross density of 6 dwelling per acre in the RES-6 FLUC for an affordable housing project that qualify for a density bonus; ADOPT the Findings for Specific Approval; and GRANTING Specific Approval for an alternative to Section 1005.7.E (Multiple Stacking of Spaces) of the Land Development Code, as recommended by staff.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• Mr. John F. Cavoli, P.E. (Cavoli Engineering, INC), agent for Ellenton Landings, LLC, seeks approval of a Preliminary Site Plan for 136 multi-family units (14 buildings), with at least 25% of the units designated as affordable housing and another 25% of the units designated as workforce housing.
• The 15.17± acre vacant site is located at the southwest corner of 36th Avenue East (Ellenton-Gillette Road) and 29th Street East. On 05/05/2007 the Board of County Commissioners rezone the site from A-1 (Suburban Agriculture) to PDR zoning district, and approved a Preliminary Site Plan for 136 multi-family units including affordable and workforce housing units (25% for each category).
• Current proposal is substantially consistent with previous approval (number and type of units, number of buildings, gross and net density, access points, buffer widths, open space, recreational amenities, etc.).
• The site is within the RES-6 (Residential - 6 dwelling units per acre) Future Land Use Category (FLUC), which lists suburban and urban residential uses in the range of potential uses for consideration with a maximum gross and net density of 6 du/acre and 12 du/acre respectively.
• The applicant proposes a gross density of 8.97 du/acre and a net density of 10.13 du/acre. The proposed gross density exceeds the maximum threshold allowed within the RES-6 FLUC (6 du/acre); however, per LDC Section 545.2.H, the project is eligible to request a density bonus because at least 25% of the units (34 units) will be designated as “affordable”, allowing to increase the project density to the maximum density in the next highest FLUC (RES-9) which allows a maximum gross and net density of 9 du/acre and 16 du/acre.
• A Land Use Restriction Agreement (LURA) is entering into by and between the applicant and the Manatee County in order to establish the designation level of affordable housing units and guarantee that the requirements of the Florida Local Comprehensive Planning Act are followed. A LURA shall be executed subsequent to the approval of the Preliminary Site Plan.
• Special Approval is required for a project which exceeds 4.5 du/acre gross density and 6.0 du/acre net density in the RES-6 FLUC, and to exceed a maximum gross density of 6 du/acre in the RES-6 FLUC for a project which qualify for a density bonus (affordable housing). Special approval may be acquired through the planned development process.
• Currently there is no sanitary sewer service available for the site. The developer shall be responsible for extending sanitary sewer service to the site and connecting to the sanitary sewer system in accordance with the County’s utility engineering standards. The developer has proposed a “Wastewater Connection Agreement” to provide for the construction of improvements and payment of fees or proportionate fair share contributions to extend sewer service to the site.
• Site lies in Zones “X” and “A”. The developer shall establish the Base Flood Elevation (B.F.E) for Zone “A” prior to the Final Site Plan approval.
• There are approximately 0.834 acres of wetlands and 0.284 acres of jurisdictional wetlands (low quality) are proposed to be impacted. Wetland mitigation is proposed (restoration and enhancing of remaining 0.55 acres of wetland).
• The site is within the School Service Area 1 serving by Blackburn Elementary, Lincoln Middle School, and Palmetto High School. Per Manatee County School Board, there is sufficient capacity to support the proposal (14 potential students).
• 48.09% of the total site or 7.86 acres of open space is proposed (25% is required). Recreational amenities have been proposed to promote neighborhood.
• The applicant request Specific Approval to allow that 81 driveways located on front of individual garages will count as part of the required parking spaces (LDC Section 1005.7.E - Multiple stacking of spaces).
• Staff supports requested Specific Approval. Staff recommends approval of this request, with stipulations.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email on 10/28/15.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - Ellenton Landings - PDR-14-03(P).pdf
Attachment: Maps - Zoning, FLU, Aerial - Ellenton Landings - PDR-14-03(P).pdf
Attachment: Specific Approval letter - Ellenton Landings - PDR-14-03(P).pdf
Attachment: Exhibit 1- Building Elevations - Ellenton Landings - PDR-14-03(P).pdf
Attachment: School Report - Ellenton Landings - PDR-14-03(P).pdf
Attachment: PSP - Ellenton Landings - PDR-14-03(P) - 102215.pdf
Attachment: Affidavit of Publishing - Ellenton Landings - PDR-14-03(P) - Sarasota Herald Tribune - 11-12-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Ellenton Landings - PDR-14-03(P) - Bradenton Herald - 11-12-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Maps - for Update - Future Land Use, Zoning and two Aerials - Ellenton Landings - PDR-14-03(P).pdf