|October 6, 2015 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #43
Golf Cart Use on County Roads, Crossings - Ordinance 15-34
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Vishal S. Kakkad, PE, PTOE, Traffic Design Division Manager, Ext. 7812
Sage Kamiya, PE, PTOE, Deputy Director-Traffic Management, Ext. 7425
Adoption of Ordinance No. 15-34, amending Section 2-22-9 of the Manatee County Code of Ordinances relating to designation of certain roads permitting the operation of golf carts; providing for definitions; amending requirements for posting signs; incorporating provisions of Florida Statutes relating to golf cart operation and equipment; providing for enforcement and punishment pursuant to Florida Statutes; amending golf cart road designations and golf cart crossing areas within Trailer Estates Park and Recreation District, IMG Academies Golf and Country Club, Palm Aire, Tara Golf and Country Club, River Club Community, and Tidevue Estates subdivision; creating golf cart road designations within Heather Hills Estates and the Village of Cortez; creating golf cart crossing areas within Palmetto Pines Golf Course; providing for codification; repealing conflicting ordinances; providing for severability; and providing an effective date.
Florida Statute (F.S.) Section 316.008(n) - Power of Local Authorities
F.S. Section 316.212 - Operation of Golf Carts on Certain Roadways
- At the Board of County Commissioners (BCC) regular meeting on September 23, 2014, the Board adopted Resolution No. R-14-52, Procedures and Criteria Relating to Designation of Public Rights-Of-Way For Operation of Golf Carts.
- A request was initiated from local residents within Heather Hills Estates and the Village of Cortez requesting golf cart operations on roads within their communities. In accordance with Manatee County Resolution 14-52, the local communities provided letters to the Public Works Department documenting over 67% support in the study areas. As a result, the Department evaluated the roadways and determined that the operation of golf carts is appropriate. Ordinance No. 15-34 permits golf cart use on county roadways within Heather Hills Estates and the Village of Cortez.
- Also, during a previous golf cart use work session with the BCC, staff discussed engaging the communities with existing golf cart use ordinances to seek their input regarding the need and use of golf carts in these areas. As a result, staff met with the Palm Aire Communities Council (PACC) on 5/20/15, the Tara Master Association on 5/28/15, the El Conquistador community on 6/16/15, and the River Club Homeowners Association on 7/7/15.
- Staff presented information on golf cart use in these areas. Staff informed local residents of a future ordinance amendment to revise existing roadways and crossing locations. These revisions include changes to outdated street names, clarification of roadway boundaries, removal of private roadways, and revisions to crossing locations, which are encompassed in Ordinance No. 15-34.
- Furthermore, staff recommends the removal of Whitfield Avenue, Tara Boulevard, and El Conquistador Parkway as golf cart designated roadways. Staff explained the engineering evaluation; emphasized the functional classification of these roadways as thoroughfares; and discussed traffic volumes, speeds, character of motor vehicles using the roadways, and surrounding land use and access points. As an alternative to the roads and streets, staff proposes designating county sidewalks in the IMG Academies Golf and Country Club and Palm Aire communities for operation of golf carts. Ordinance No. 15-36 permits golf cart use on county sidewalks adjacent to El Conquistador Parkway and Whitfield Avenue.
- Public Works Department staff has coordinated with the County Attorney's Office in preparation of Ordinance No. 15-34 and Ordinance No. 15-36 to formalize staff's recommendations for a public hearing.
- A copy of proposed Ordinance No. 15-34 is attached
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Maureen Sikora has reviewed and prepared Ordinance No. 15-34.
Instructions to Board Records
Return a stamped copy of the agenda memorandum including signed ordinance to Jeff Bishop (firstname.lastname@example.org), Public Works Department, Traffic Design Division, Ext 7815.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
1010020707 - Traffic Operations
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
$250 per sign installation and $50 per year per sign maintenance
Attachment: Ordinance No 15-34.pdf
Attachment: Proof of Publication - Ord. 15-34.pdf