|Manatee County Government Administrative Center Commission Chambers, First Floor 9:00 a.m. - October 22, 2013|
Agenda Item #33
Appointment of Code Enforcement Special Magistrates
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Joe Fenton, Division Manager, Ext. 6854
Motion to appoint two (2) Special Magistrates.
• On October 8, 2013, the Board of County Commissioners approved and enacted Ordinance No. 13-36 relating to code enforcement. This ordinance creates Chapter 2-36 of the Manatee County Code of Ordinances to provide for enforcement of codes and ordinances by special magistrates effective November 1, 2013.
• Pursuant to Section 2-36-4 of the Code of Ordinances, the Board of County Commissioners may appoint one (1) or more special magistrates for a term of four (4) years. A special magistrate designated by the Board of County Commissioners has the authority to hold hearings and assess fines against violators of County codes and ordinances.
• On November 8, 2011, the Board of County Commissioners appointed two special magistrates in accordance with Section 305.4.1 of the Manatee County Land Development Code. However, Section 305 of the Land Development Code is proposed for repeal by Ordinance No. 13-34 scheduled for public hearing before the Board of County Commissioners on October 22, 2013.
• Therefore, staff recommends that the Board of County Commissioners appoint the individuals currently serving as special magistrates to the newly created positions established by Section 2-36-4 of the Manatee County Code of Ordinances. Each special magistrate will be appointed for a term of four (4) years, expiring on October 21, 2017.
• Attached are the applications submitted by the existing Special Magistrates:
o Donald L. Courtney
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
This was reviewed by Assistant County Attorney Maureen Sikora.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a stamped copy of agenda to Administrative Specialist Laurie Menard (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Code Enforcement Division following disposition.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: BOCC Attachments 10-22-13 SM Appt.pdf