|November 7, 2017 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #30
Florida Department of Law Enforcement FFY2017 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Funds
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Contact: Lynette Miralla-Ramirez, ext. 3484
Presenter: Cheri Coryea, Director, ext. 3468
Authorization for the Chairman to execute a Certificate of Participation on behalf of the Manatee County Board of County Commissioners with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement ( FDLE) for Manatee County to serve as coordinating unit of government for FY 2017 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Program, and to sign a letter to FDLE approving the allocation of grants funds to Manatee County Drug Court, Manatee County Probation, and City of Bradenton Police.
Florida Statute Chapter 125
- An email from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) sent on September 29, 2017, indicated that FDLE has submitted their FY17 JAG application, but is pending approval from the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA). The State must certify compliance with new conditions and attestations prior to accepting the award and they are coordinating to complete the process. Until Florida (FDLE) receives the award and decides whether or not to accept the terms and conditions, they will not be able to approve new subawards, impacting the availability of funds for subrecipients like us that planned to begin grant funded projects effective October 1, 2017.
- Allocations have been posted in anticipation of receiving the federal funds and to begin strategic planning efforts in the event funds become available. A total of $119,709 has been allocated for all units of government within Manatee County.
- Due to the delays, FDLE will be issuing all notifications, requirements, application instructions, and communications electronically via Website at www.fdle.state.fl.us/cms/Grants/Home.aspx, which will be updated as information becomes available.
- The Public Safety Coordinating Council (PSCC) has served as Advisory Board to the Board of County Commissioners in reference to the usage of JAG funds. On April 19, 2017, the PSCC recommended for Manatee County to serve as coordinator, and to apply for the FDLE JAG grant funds.
- At its meeting on August 21, 2017, the PSCC recommended the funds to be allocated as follows:
- $41,469 from FDLE JAG funds for Manatee County Drug Court Program which will be combined with BJA Direct JAG funds to continue contractual services with Centerstone of Florida, Inc., to provide addiction counseling and ancillary services to participants of the Drug Court Program.
- $76,240 will be utilized by Manatee County Probation to continue to partially staff two full time Supervised Release Pretrial Probation Officers/Screeners providing services at the Manatee County Jail.
- $2,000 is to be utilized by City of Bradenton Police to acquire Tactical Medical kits to immediately treat life threatening traumatic injuries.
- The initial requirement of grant participation is the return of an executed certificate of participation to FDLE.
- FDLE also requires the submission of letters from at least 51% of the units of local government representing 51% of County's population approving the distribution of JAG funds.
- Submission and acceptance of the FDLE JAG grant will follow.
- No grant match is required.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
TIME SENSITIVE. Please return executed certificate and signed letter as soon as available to complete the process - Lynette Miralla-Ramirez, ext. 3484.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
$119,709 Account numbers to be determined
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Funding Opportunities FDLE WEBSITE.pdf
Attachment: JAGC-Filled Certificate-Of-Participation2018.pdf
Attachment: Notification Email.pdf
Attachment: 2017-2018 Manatee County 51% Letter.pdf