|Manatee County Government Administrative Center First Floor, Chambers November 6, 2014 - 9:00 a.m.|
Agenda Item #9
PDR-14-13(Z)(P) - Palmer Oaks, LC/Mandarin Grove Subdivision - DTS20140119 - Quasi-Judicial - Stephanie Moreland
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
941-748-4501 ext. 3880
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to ADOPT Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDR-14-13(Z)(P); APPROVE the Preliminary Site Plan with Stipulations A.1-A.5, B.1-B.3, and C.1-C.8; ADOPT the Findings for Specific Approval; and GRANT Specific Approval for alternatives to LDC Sections, 714.8.7 (replacement trees), and 715.3.4 (one canopy tree per lot) of the Land Development Code, as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Land Development Code
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
• The 95.84± acre site is on the east side of Bud Rhoden Road, and southeast of Chapman Road in North County.
• On August 24, 2004, the Board of County Commissioners rezoned the site from A (General Agriculture-one dwelling unit per five acres) to RSF-4.5 (Residential Single Family-4.5 dwelling units per acre).
• The current request is to rezone a 95.84± acre site to PDR (Planned Development Residential) and approve a Preliminary Site Plan for 301 lots for single-family detached residences.
• The site is in the RES-6 (Residential-six dwelling units per acre) Future Land Use Category (FLUC) which allows consideration of suburban or urban residential uses in the range of potential uses. The proposed gross density of 3.14 dwelling units per acre is consistent with the RES-6 FLUC.
• The current RSF-4.5 zoning district allows a maximum of 4.5 dwelling units per acre, a minimum lot width of 70 feet and lot size of 7,000 square feet. Setbacks are as follows: front yard; 20 feet, side yards; 8 feet, and rear yard; 20 feet.
• The proposed PDR zoning provides greater flexibility for the project when establishing appropriate buffers and setbacks to help mitigate any potential adverse impacts on the surrounding neighborhood.
• The minimum lot size proposed for the PDR zoning district is 6,500 square feet and lot width of 55 feet. Proposed setbacks are: front yard – 23 feet/20 feet, side yards - 5 feet, and rear yard - 15 feet.
• LDC Section 712.2.8 requires a second means of access for residential developments or parts of phases containing more than one hundred residential dwelling units. The project is designed to have a gated boulevard entrance (two lanes on either side of a 22 foot wide median) connecting a two-lane arterial section of Bud Rhoden Road which will serve as the second means of access for 301 lots. According to Transportation staff, this access point will provide full turning movement access.
• The applicant is proposing 24-foot wide private internal roadways. No inter-neighborhood ties are proposed.
• Staff has a concern that future residents residing on lots adjacent to Bud Rhoden Road may be subject to potential noise from vehicles traveling along this roadway. To address any potential noise impacts from Bud Rhoden Road, the design indicates a six-foot high decorative opaque fence, with landscaping on the exterior side of the fence, is to be installed along Bud Rhoden Road.
• Staff supports the applicant’s requests for Specific Approval to reduce tree replacement sizes and allow one canopy tree per lot.
• Staff recommends approval with stipulations.
• On October 9, 2014, by a vote of 6 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended approval.
• A summary of the public comment heard at the October 9, 2014 Planning Commission public hearing is in the staff report attached to this memo.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email on September 15, 2014.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document to email@example.com.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Maps FLU-Zoning-Aerial-Mandarin Grove Subdivision - PDR-14-13(Z)(P) - 11-06-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Staff Report - Mandarin Grove Subdivision - PDR-14-13(Z)(P) - 11-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Request of Specific Approval-Mandarin Grove Subdivision - PDR-14-13(Z)(P) - 11-06-14 BC .pdf
Attachment: Zoning Disclosure Affidavit - Mandarin Grove Subdivision - PDR-14-13(Z)(P) - 11-06-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Traffic Impact Analysis - Mandarin Grove Subdivision - PDR-14-13(Z)(P) - 11-06-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Public Comment - Mandarin Grove Subdivision - PDR-14-13(Z)(P) - 11-06-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Mandarin Grove Subdivision - PDR-14-13(Z)(P) - Bradenton Herald - 141106 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Mandarin Grove Subdivision - PDR-14-13(Z)(P) - Sarasota Herald Tribune - 141106 BC.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance - Mandarin Grove Subdivision - PDR-14-13(Z)(P) - 11-06-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Slideshow - Planner - Mandarin Grove Subdivision - PDR-14-13(Z)(P) - 11-06-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Site Plan- Mandarin Grove Subdivision - PDR-14-13(Z)(P) - 11-06-14 BC.pdf